ESP8266 feed OFFLINE since 2022-Aug-11

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
dingradf

ESP8266 feed OFFLINE since 2022-Aug-11

Post by dingradf »

The feeds from my ESP8266 logging setup stopped 11th Aug 2022 like for many others. It has worked without problem for more than a year prior to this.

I have been following the original thread about this 11th August debacle but the advice was to start a new thread with the specific information about the issue. So here it is...

Board: NodeMCU ESP8266 12E

What I have tried:
- Installed the entire Adafruit IO Arduino library (v4.2.2) and deleted the old one.
- Compiled and uploaded the sketch. WiFi connection works as I am able to do OTA updates.

The IO account shows the feed(s) OFFLINE.

litamin

Re: ESP8266 feed OFFLINE since 2022-Aug-11

Post by litamin »

I have the same issue. And I have even tried uncommenting the "WiFiClientSecure" lines in `AdafruitIO_ESP8266.h` and `AdafruitIO_ESP8266.cpp` exactly as written there and told here viewtopic.php?f=56&t=192516. Still nothing.

Not even getting connected to Wifi it seems, during the initialization phase the following code segment prints out "Network disconnected".

Code: Select all

// wait for a connection
  while (io.status() < AIO_CONNECTED)
  {
    EVERY_N_MILLISECONDS(500)
    {
      Serial.println(io.statusText());
    }
  }
But it all works flawlessly on a ESP32..

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can also just update your existing code with the new fingerprint
viewtopic.php?t=193572
ESP8266 is just not as well suited for secure IoT projects - and SSL certificate companies are no longer doing '5-10 year' certificates, they now change yearly. we strongly recommend updating to ESP32, you'll be happier in the long run!

dingradf

Post by dingradf »

For some reason, although I have not made any code changes, the feed suddenly sprang to life about four hours after I updated the libraries.

Why did it take so long? Who knows? I'm just happy that it works now.

litamin

Post by litamin »

adafruit2 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:16 pm you can also just update your existing code with the new fingerprint
viewtopic.php?t=193572
Where exactly should I add this new fingerprint - the post you linked to doesnt say where? I tried putting it in at the beginning and nothing happened. But anyway, it seems like the new library update has this latest fingerprint already in it - so its not enough to just update the library?

Please help me figure this out - what exactly do I need to do? I want to keep using ESP8266 and dont mind it being non-secure or whatever, its for a temporary art project.

My setup and what I have tried so far:
I am using the Adafruit_IO_Arduino library on ESP8266's (a D1 Mini and a ESP-01) and I have updated the library to the latest version (tried both using Platform.io library installer and manually downloading from github). I am running the example code "adafruitio_00_publish" and the same code works flawlessly on ESP32.

litamin

Post by litamin »

OMG now it works and it seems the problem had nothing to do with the fingerprint issue! It's so silly, I had in my ESP32 code replaced the delay(500) in the connection part of while(io.status() < AIO_CONNECTED) with a millis()-based 500ms delay. Because all this time I've been told not to use delay() because it locks the code. But in this VERY specific case, it seems like ESP8266 needs delay(500) there. ESP32 did not care.

F my life, lost 2 days stressing about this.. X)

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Internet of Things: Adafruit IO and Wippersnapper”