VL53L0X Field of View

Share your information, hints and discuss Laser cutters/engravers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pixelpop

VL53L0X Field of View

Post by pixelpop »

I am building a project using the VL53L0X. This ToF sensor has a 25 degree field of view. When aimed at a flat surface, the returned distance is accurate. However, if the surface is angled, the distance returned is more than the closest point on the object (see pic). Is there a way to narrow the FOV or would using two or three sensors resolve this issue? Thanks!
dist.jpg
dist.jpg (222.99 KiB) Viewed 1426 times

mikeysklar

Re: VL53L0X Field of View

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for providing this specific diagram. That makes it easy to understand your situation.

Multiple VL53L0X (eg. 2-3) would be a good option since this has such a narrow light beam. You will need some extra code for everybody to place nice. Check out this thread for details.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=116898#p584121

pixelpop

Re: VL53L0X Field of View

Post by pixelpop »

Thanks, Mikey! I am going to try three (one centered Adafruit and two generic on either side) and see I can code up a solution that gives me the correct distance. Since the post date of the link you provided, there are several toots on setting a unique address for each sensor on a single SBC. So that part should come together quickly. The code to take three inputs and derive a single accurate distance may be a bit more tricky. :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Laser”