BLE Scanning and Connecting to other devices

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
javierperformance

BLE Scanning and Connecting to other devices

Post by javierperformance »

Just recently purchased an Adafruit Bluefruit LE UART Friend in an attempt to get more consistent BLE Connection with a device involved in a current project. I have already tried using the Arduino Uno Wifi Rev 2 in addition to the ArduinoBLE library, and can achieve connection and data transfer but it is not consistent enough. Using commands and functions in the Arduino library makes it very doable, however. As i have been trying to implement the Adafruit UART friend, using the library that comes with this is very difficult and not as straightforward, or I am overthinking. How can I use this Adafruit product, properly hooked up to an Arduino Uno, to connect to another BLE device that is NOT a mobile phone?

mikeysklar

Re: BLE Scanning and Connecting to other devices

Post by mikeysklar »

You might have already seen this in the FAQ:

Can my Bluefruit LE module connect to other Bluefruit LE peripherals

No, the Bluefruit LE firmware from Adafruit is currently peripheral only, and doesn't run in Central mode, which would cause the module to behave similar to your mobile phone or BLE enabled laptop.
If you required Central support, you should look at the newer nRF52832 based products like the Adafruit Feather nRF52 Bluefruit LE, which contains a SoftDevice which is capable of running in either Central or Peripheral mode. The nRF518322 based products (such as the one used in this learning guide) are not capable of running in Central mode because it isn't supported by the SoftDevice they use, and it isn't possible to update the SoftDevice safely without special hardware.
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... aq-2346702

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”