Additional GPS antenna for RPi4B

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
AstroPi

Additional GPS antenna for RPi4B

Post by AstroPi »

Hi!

I'm using my RPi to control various astro-related devices. I've added to Adafruit GPS hat but as the RPi is housed in an aluminium case, it seems that the GPS signals are not able to "go through" although it has a clear view of the sky through an acrylic, clear window. Is it possible to connect an additional antenna which, preferably, may be attached outside the enclosure? I know there is an antenna but with a 5m long cable which, unfortunately is a "no go" for me.

Many thanks in advance!
Attachments
astrogps.jpg
astrogps.jpg (302.2 KiB) Viewed 192 times

Franklin97355

Re: Additional GPS antenna for RPi4B

Post by Franklin97355 »

Nice build. Have you tried to get the GPS working without the cover? I don't know why the cover would reduce the reception. The GPS antenna has a SMA connector so you could use a uFL to sma connector and run it out through the box

AstroPi

Post by AstroPi »

Hi!

Many thanks for your reply and thanks for the kind words. I had another case (plastic) before this aluminium one and with that the signals went through, unfortunately not with this case. It's a serious piece of case in CNC machined aluminium and I'm extremely happy with it!

I used the Adafruit active antenna and with that my RPi could see through walls :) However, I want to get rid of as many cables as possible. Do you think a "simple" uFL to SMA cable (no attached antenna) could be enough to collect the GPS signals? Running it through the acrylic/aluminium gap would be supereasy.

What do you think? Will this work or would I need to bite the bullet and use the Adafruit active antenna? Not a showstopper but just inconvenient to deal with a loooong cable :)

Cheers

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

nooooooo! you MUST use an active antenna with the ultimate GPS and it has to be tuned to GPS frequencies :) you could coil the antenna?

AstroPi

Post by AstroPi »

:) Yup - coiling the antenna works albeit "it will not look so nice". Function before beauty :) Nevertheless, I'll go that route - thanks for clarifying.

Cheers

seanfcarney

Post by seanfcarney »

AstroPi wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:56 am :) Yup - coiling the antenna works albeit "it will not look so nice". Function before beauty :) Nevertheless, I'll go that route - thanks for clarifying.

Cheers
First, maybe you can use a slightly larger stand off for the Pi and coil it up under the Pi our of sight... ?

Second... please do review your rig. I have a humble XT-8 and I love visual astronomy whenever time allows.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I also would be interested in your build.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

me three!

AstroPi

Post by AstroPi »

Hi guys!

Sorry for the delay. This is what my rig looks like. It consists of:
ota.png
ota.png (950.5 KiB) Viewed 116 times
- TS Optics CF90 90mm/F6 APO triplet with a 0.8x reducer/flattener
- Atik Horizon II
- QHY guider and mini guide scope
- Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox v2 USB hub - (highly recommended!!!)
- RPi 4B with 64GB uSD and Adafruit GPS hat
- Seagate OneTouch 1TB SSD

Now I eagerly awaits my new Adafruit antenna - I managed to rip the uFL that came with the hat :(

Cheers

seanfcarney

Post by seanfcarney »

Very nice! Way more hi-tech than my setup.

Do you have a particular Astro-fetish that you like to image (planetary, Nebulae, etc...)? Or are you doing more scientific? At 90mm aperture I assume this is more for low Magnification wide angle shots.

I think you are a couple 90 degree USB adapters, get some shorter cables, some zipties... and your all squared away.

Please keep us updated! I like your setup.

AstroPi

Post by AstroPi »

Thanks for your kind words! I'm mostly into wide field nebula/galaxy/star cluster astrophotography. I'm currently thinking about the cable routing. The RPi+UPB+SSD go between my two systems so I need to work out a solution which works with both but I'm definitely considering some 90 degree USBs :)

Cheers

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”