Feather RP2040 5V

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Thau

Feather RP2040 5V

Post by Thau »

Hi,

I have a Feather RP2040 and I want to use a DFPlayer Mini, it is supposed to work with 3.3-5V, but it's just making click noises on 3.3V.
I want to run it with a battery connected. I have seen the VBAT and USB pins and both are working fine, now my questions is, how can I connect it so one or the other is used, based on whether the USB cable is plugged in or battery is used?
Can I just connect VBAT and USB and connect the DFPlayer Mini to it? If now, what are my choices here?

Thank you.

Thau

Re: Feather RP2040 5V

Post by Thau »

Maybe my question is not quite clear, but I want to know, if I can connect the DFPlayer Mini to VBAT and USB at the same time, so it can run, doesn't matter if the feather is connected to the battery or via USB.
There are build-in diodes, which do make this possible, right?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Feather RP2040 5V

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There are built-in diodes, but connecting USB to VBAT bypasses them and will short the battery to the 5V input.

If you want to use both connections, put a diode between VBAT and the load. That way the 5V input can't overload the battery when USB is connected. A low-Vf Schottky diode like the MBR540 we use on the Feather will minimize the voltage loss.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”