Microstepping advice

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kevcanni

Microstepping advice

Post by kevcanni »

I am using the motor shield to control two stepper motors.
I am controlling several components at once so I am stepping each motor one step at a time so that I can turn each motor 'simultaneously' as well as read data from a sensor between steps.

The stepper motors are turning very slowly: one step every 3 seconds. My motors use 200 steps for a full rotation. Each step is not really smooth enough for my purposes.

A very simply version of my code looks like this:

Code: Select all

loop{
	AF_Stepper.onestep(direction, steptype) 
	wait 3 seconds
}
If steptype is 'double' then each step is 1.8 degrees (200 steps per revolution).

What I would like to do is smooth the rotation by using microsteps, but I'm not sure how many steps a microstep is?

How many degrees will my stepper turn if I switch the steptype from 'double' to 'microstep'?

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Microstepping advice

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

With the Adafruit library, the microsteps are nominally 1/16 of a full step (0.1125 degrees).

Microsteps are achieved by modulating the current to the two windings so that the rotor is held partway between two full-step positions. So you can expect some variability in the exact angle of rotation between steps.

kevcanni

Re: Microstepping advice

Post by kevcanni »

adafruit_support_bill wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:20 pm With the Adafruit library, the microsteps are nominally 1/16 of a full step (0.1125 degrees).

Microsteps are achieved by modulating the current to the two windings so that the rotor is held partway between two full-step positions. So you can expect some variability in the exact angle of rotation between steps.
Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”