Bluefruit nRF52832 won't compile after board update 0.22

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
martian

Bluefruit nRF52832 won't compile after board update 0.22

Post by martian »

Hey there,

I have a Bluefruit nRF52832 feather which I haven't used in a while. Coming back to it, I thought I would make sure my board defintion was update in the Arduino IDE. I had been using 0.19 and I updated to the latest 1.3.0. After this no example sketches would compile.

I tried to update the boards bootloader as described here: https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nr ... -bsp-setup, but this wouldn't work either. In fact the tools menu in the IDE was a little different than shown in the instructions. When I rolled the board back to my previous 0.19 version, I could compile again, AND I could update the bootloader, which I did. Then I went back to version 1.3.0 to see if having the bootloader updated helped, but unfortunately it did not.

I systematically tried the 11 board versions in between 0.19 and 1.30 and found I could update the board package up to 0.22 and still compile code for the NRF52. Anything 0.22.1 and higher and I could not compile for the board.

Here is the error message I get:
[16454] Error loading Python lib '/var/folders/lk/_6vdh08x2b14r_z59l3nmysw0000gn/T/_MEIPma8aO/libpython3.8.dylib': dlopen: dlopen(/var/folders/lk/_6vdh08x2b14r_z59l3nmysw0000gn/T/_MEIPma8aO/libpython3.8.dylib, 10): Symbol not found: _preadv
Referenced from: /var/folders/lk/_6vdh08x2b14r_z59l3nmysw0000gn/T/_MEIPma8aO/libpython3.8.dylib (which was built for Mac OS X 11.1)
Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
in /var/folders/lk/_6vdh08x2b14r_z59l3nmysw0000gn/T/_MEIPma8aO/libpython3.8.dylib
exit status 255
Error compiling for board Adafruit Feather nRF52832.
My bootloader, I believe is 0.3.2, if useful.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

argonblue

Re: Bluefruit nRF52832 won't compile after board update 0.22

Post by argonblue »

What version of macOS are you running? Could you please paste more of the error message before that?

The version of nrfutil in the newer BSP might bundle a version of Python that won't work with older versions of macOS.

martian

Post by martian »

Thanks for your reply.

That was the entire error message. Was there something else you were expecting?

As far as my operating system goes I am unfortunately running OSX 10.14 Mojave, I’ve kept it around since I have some 32-bit legacy non-subscription-based adobe products that I want to keep using.

I have to admit,I don’t entirely understand why python would be relevant in the Arduino IDE. But I don’t have a really in-depth understanding of some of the stuff. I do have access to a Windows machine though, do you think it’s worth trying to update the board there? I mostly use my Mac for Arduino, but I’m not sure how important it is that I have the latest board definition anyways. I appreciate your input!

martian

Post by martian »

Hey again. So I went ahead and tried the windows machine and the am able to used the latest board files, so I suspect you may be right about there being some software issue. Welcome any other thoughts or insights based on my last reply, but I think I’m sorted in this. Thanks again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”