4 pin LED button wiring to feather

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Balint55

4 pin LED button wiring to feather

Post by Balint55 »

Hey guys!

I would like to add a 4 pin led button switch to my featherwing but im quite confused where to solder things.
My button should be wired like this (I would like to use the upper wiring):

Should I connect the left B to V+ on the board? How should I wire my ground?

Thanks in advance!

Franklin97355

Re: 4 pin LED button wiring to feather

Post by Franklin97355 »

What device are you connecting to? Your ground should be connected to all ground points.

Balint55

Post by Balint55 »

Franklin97355 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:22 pm What device are you connecting to? Your ground should be connected to all ground points.

Hi!

So my plan is to wire a greed LED latch Button which if i press turns on the Featherwing, and the M4 Express. from the feather it powers my Neopixel strip.

The problem is that the picture shows to connect from a battery to the button and to the device. Now i can’t do that, because the 18650 battery will be connected by JST connectors. Later today I can attach more pictures if needed about my plans and stuff.

lisleman

Post by lisleman »

Balint55 wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:03 pm I would like to add a 4 pin led button switch to my featherwing but
Which featherwing?
So this button turns on power for the whole setup?
I don't know this button but from your drawing I'll assume B - B makes a connection when it is latched. If so I think #1 drawing should work.
If you can breadboard it first you'll possibly save a soldering mistake.

Balint55

Post by Balint55 »

lisleman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:27 pm
Which featherwing?
So this button turns on power for the whole setup?
I don't know this button but from your drawing I'll assume B - B makes a connection when it is latched. If so I think #1 drawing should work.
If you can breadboard it first you'll possibly save a soldering mistake.
Yes exactly. so the project is an adafruit lightsaber, they made this circuit diagram

But this is a 6 pin RGB LED. thats why i was confused where should my cables go on the 4 pin LED.

so heres my plan, also my problem illustrated

lisleman

Post by lisleman »

This makes your problem a little easier to understand.
I have not tried the light saber project so I don't have any experience building it.
I did notice the Prop Maker wing has holes labelled G and EN next to the reset button. The project shows those holes connected to a slide switch but a latching button switch would work too. The switch connected to G and EN turns both the M4 and Prop wing on. I think from reading the project guide a second latch button connected to SWITCH and GND turns on the neopixel, audio, and 3W LED circuits.

I think you could use one latch button (G,EN connected to B - B ) to turn the whole setup on and keep SWITCH and GND holes connected with a wire.

I see a possible problem with connecting you Green LED within your latch button to those RED,GREEN,BLUE holes. Those are set for 3 watt LEDS. I'm guessing your Green LED would burn out. You could control your Green LED from the M4.
I don't think your last drawing will work.

As I said I have NOT used the Prop Maker wing, so my thinking maybe off.

andyfinlay

Post by andyfinlay »

Hey, I have this exact same challenge with this project.

When I ordered the components my push switch was only 4 pin and not 6 pin like in the instructions.

Did you manage to figure out the wiring for your 4 pin switch? Would you be able to share how?!

Thanks!

Balint55

Post by Balint55 »

Hey sorry for the late answer. Unfortunately I had to put a hold on the project due to lack of time. I am still stuck and kinda afraid to continue because I don't want to fry another board..... (Another? Yep, I was dumb and turned on the batteries when it was plugged into my PC LOL)

alpierce

Post by alpierce »

What board did it fry? Having a LiPo battery plugged into a Feather and connecting the USB from the computer should just charge the battery, not fry anything. Maybe you could include some photos of how you have things wired up. More information makes it easier to help you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”