Splitting a ws2812b strip via logic

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
skazal

Splitting a ws2812b strip via logic

Post by skazal »

Is there a way to create an Adafruit_Neopixel strip object that splits a ws2812b NeoPixel strip into multiple 'virtual' strips? For example, I want to use a single ws2812b strip with 48 pixels as four 12 pixel strips mapping virtual-pixel 0 to physical strip pixels 0, 12, 24, and 36. Taking that further, I'd also like to use a strip of 48 pixels and re-map the start and end of each virtual segment so that I could redefine the logical beginning and end pixel for each virtual strip. One use case would be group virtual strips logically into mirrored pairs (each half of a pair moves in the opposite direction).

dastels

Re: Splitting a ws2812b strip via logic

Post by dastels »

I was sure there was something in terms of an Adafruit library for that (in CircuitPython) but I can't find it now.

I did something prior to hearing anything about that which might help: https://github.com/dastels/circuitpython_neopixel_zones.
It lets you slice a strip into sections and use each one independently as if they were individual strips. It doesn't support sections going backwards. Adding that is mostly some math to account for the reversed direction.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”