Ribbon jumper wires

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
delvento

Ribbon jumper wires

Post by delvento »

I have two questions, about the ribbon jumper cables, particularly the https://www.adafruit.com/product/793

What is the pitch of the RIBBON of the cables? The reason for asking is that I need these cables with an IDC connector in the middle, and those require an exact pitch of 1.27mm, otherwise the blades of the IDC won't match the wire. In case you don't know the answer, may I kindly ask that you measure it? Since pitch is a bit hard to measure precisely, I guess the total wire width will be sufficient information (with wire count, which is known) to compute if the IDC would fit. I strongly suggest that you add this information to your website, since it'd be very valuable.

The second question is if you assemble these cables in house or if you just resell them. The reason for asking is that I would need some in a longer 50cm size and if you assemble them in house I'd might ask if you would do that for a fee. Yes, yes, I know, I know, you don't offer custom products or manufacturing services, but if you assemble these in house, making a few with a longer wire is really nothing (on the other hand if you just resell them that's a non starter).

Thanks a lot in advance for proving answers to these two questions!
Del

delvento

Re: Ribbon jumper wires

Post by delvento »

Bueller?

yzfoot

Post by yzfoot »

I measured 10 at 12.70mm. FWIW that pitch is pretty standard and raw cable should be available in many places without any ends.

delvento

Post by delvento »

Thanks a lot for getting back to me.

Do I understand correctly that you measured a 10-wire version? Was that the 30cm one?

I bought half a dozens of these 30cm, 40cm or 50cm cables, all in 40-wire, from various vendors and they are all different from each other and incompatible with IDC connectors, as it's clear in these pictures.

On the other hand the 5 to 10 wire ones (*) are all pretty standard and compatible. I absolutely need the long lengths, and preferably the multiple wire ones.

(*): I've seen in person only in shorter lengths of the 5 to 10 wire ribbons, and only recently found that Adafruit has them in 30cm, hence my question if you make these in-house

I know I can easily buy the appropriate raw cable and crimp the end connectors myself, but I need several hundreds, and that will be an extremely tedious, error prone and extenuating activity to do, so I am looking for cables that are pre-made where I need only to add the IDC in the middle.

Do I understand correctly that you measured a 10-wire version? Was that the 30cm one?

Thanks again.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”