PID Heater Control Possible?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Wasinger3000

PID Heater Control Possible?

Post by Wasinger3000 »

Hey everyone,

I have looked around in the bog for projects close to what I am looking to do but most reference EOL boards or controllers.

I'd like to use a small 200w or less ceramic heating element and a fan to heat a 3D printer enclosure to a set temp (depending on the complexity) either set from a user adjustment externally on a button or set once in code.

Can anyone recommend the best hardware to achieve this goal? I have experience with the Feather boards, CircitPython, and PID tuning in industrial applications, just no experience with Arduino IDE.

Any advice, opinions, comments are welcome.

Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: PID Heater Control Possible?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Most any Arduino compatible board is capable of running a PID temperature control loop. Here is one example project using an UNO: https://learn.adafruit.com/sous-vide-po ... us-viduino

Lots of more powerful processors available these days. But the old Atmega328 is more than up to the task.

I'd probably go with one of the industrial 'puck' style SSRs for switching power to the heating element. Be sure to look for one that takes logic-level control inputs.

Wasinger3000

Re: PID Heater Control Possible?

Post by Wasinger3000 »

Okay great to know, I have a few ESP32-S3's on hand now so ill give Arduino a try on one. No better time to learn then for a new project. Thank you for the help!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”