Support for Industrial Ethernet Protocols

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Bhindhiya97

Support for Industrial Ethernet Protocols

Post by Bhindhiya97 »

Hello All,

I am trying to find a suitable controller that can communicate with 3rd party modules using Industrial Ethernet protocols such as Profinet / Profibus / Ethernet/IP master.

Are there any Adafruit boards that support the above mentioned protocols and is there library support available from Adafruit for implementing the same.

Any advise as to where I can find such a controller is most welcome and highly appreciated. Any support or help would be extremely useful to me.

Looking forward to your response.

Best Regards,
Bhindhiya

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Support for Industrial Ethernet Protocols

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We do not have such a library. But you can find one here: https://gitee.com/byronartest/Profinet-for-Arduino
See the ReadMe file for Arduino board compatibility.

westfw

Re: Support for Industrial Ethernet Protocols

Post by westfw »

Industrial Ethernet protocols such as Profinet / Profibus / Ethernet/IP master.
There can be three "parts" to "Industrial Ethernet."
  1. Software-level stuff - these will use standard ethernet hardware but run "industrial" protocols.
  2. Modified MAC layer, such as "TSN" (Time Sensitive Networking) - Since the CSMA/CD protocol used by regular ethernet is somewhat non-deterministic, replacements have been invented for situations that are very delay-critical. This may require a specialized ethernet controller, or special configuration of an existing MAC. (the "MAC" or Media Access Controller, is the Ethernet controller that programmers mostly deal with, frequently incorporated into advanced microcontrollers.)
  3. Modified Physical Layer - The 8pin RJ45 jack/plug is pretty standard for "regular ethernet", but there are some alternatives aimed at industrial applications. Most recently is probably "Single Pair Ethernet" designed to support transmission (and power) over a single twisted pair. It also features more robust connectors. Typically, this would require a different "PHY" chip than normal Ethernet.
(1) is just a small matter of programming, and implementations may already exist.

(2) and (3) may require specialized hardware. I'm not aware of any arduino-class boards that support any specialized versions of Ethernet. (but, I haven't been paying much attention, either.)
(OTTH, I don't see Single Pair Ethernet Switches on consumer sites like Amazon or Newegg, so perhaps it's "newer than new.")

So you need to further nail down exactly what you need.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”