Controlling neopixel power draw using setBrighness()

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jolleon

Controlling neopixel power draw using setBrighness()

Post by jolleon »

Hello! I just received my first circuit playground and strand of neopixel and am very excited to use it in a costume!

I'm planning to use the full 4m strand of 60 led/m RGB neopixels (got the skinny one), and trying to figure power requirements. As it will be wearable I'm interested in not having to lug around huge batteries.

With my 4*60 = 240 LEDs, following the 20mA guideline that would be ~5A, which is quite a lot. As I don't need the full brightness (from my tests it seems like I could go as low as setBrightness(10-20)!), I'm wondering whether I could rely on setBrightness to cap power need.

Is there a linear correlation between the brightness set and power draw?

For instance if I do setBrightness(50) (i.e. 1/5 brightness) at the beginning of my sketch and leave it there, can I assume total power draw will be 1/5 and therefore plan for 1A of power use for my 240 LEDs?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Controlling neopixel power draw using setBrighness()

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

All else being equal, the power requirements are roughly proportional to the brightness level you set.

I'd recommend starting with a read through this guide for tips on efficient use of power:
https://learn.adafruit.com/sipping-power-with-neopixels

jolleon

Re: Controlling neopixel power draw using setBrighness()

Post by jolleon »

That's a great article, thank you!
Looks like power use is indeed directly correlated to brightness, and all the other tricks mentioned in the guide will be helpful too.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”