Can I use a Metal Pushbutton with Red LED Ring with Adafruit LED Arcade Button 1x4 - STEMMA QT I2C?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
owntheweb

Can I use a Metal Pushbutton with Red LED Ring with Adafruit LED Arcade Button 1x4 - STEMMA QT I2C?

Post by owntheweb »

Hello gurus,
I'm interested in using a Adafruit LED Arcade Button 1x4 - STEMMA QT I2C Breakout - STEMMA QT / Qwiic with multiple Rugged Metal Pushbutton with Red LED Ring - 16mm Red Momentary.

Do you see any issues with this? So far I'm noticing that the ringed buttons have five connections while the arcade buttons pictured have four. I'm betting I just need to ground the lamp PWM control or something (taking a fresh look on my next break).

Thanks for the second pair of eyes in advance!

Franklin97355

Re: Can I use a Metal Pushbutton with Red LED Ring with Adafruit LED Arcade Button 1x4 - STEMMA QT I2C?

Post by Franklin97355 »

With proper wiring, I think you can.

westfw

Re: Can I use a Metal Pushbutton with Red LED Ring with Adafruit LED Arcade Button 1x4 - STEMMA QT I2C?

Post by westfw »

Beware "activation force." While I don't see a specification for the Arcade buttons from Adafruit, such things are usually really easy to push, so that games can blast away at things without muscle fatigue. Rather like a keyboard switch.

The "Rugged" button has 1 - 2.5 N (~8oz) activation force; more like an elevator button.

Electrically, it shouldn't be a problem. It looks like the rugged button has both normally open and normally closed contacts, accounting for the extra lead.

owntheweb

Post by owntheweb »

Ohhh! Thank you for the note about activation force. I may order one button to test. It could* still work for a flight game where some buttons won’t be mashed as often (and it looks cool), however want to keep interaction optimal.

Thank you for the wiring notes as well! That makes sense. 😀

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Aside from activation force, the flush design of these buttons makes them less 'mashable' than an arcade button. The button surface is flush with the flange in the normal position so you can't just smack it like an arcade button. You need to poke it directly with a fingertip to press it in.

That said, they are about the coolest looking buttons out there.

owntheweb

Post by owntheweb »

adafruit_support_bill wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:05 am That said, they are about the coolest looking buttons out there.
Aren’t they?! :)

Would you know offhand roughly how “smashy” the light up triangle buttons are (also super cool)? I wasn’t seeing an activation force on the product page, yet I sense they are simpler to push. I can see redesigning some of my controller concept to mix in a few of these for more frequent tasks.

Example:
- cool round light up button to raise spaceship gear (not frequent)
- cool triangle button to toggle mining laser (more common)

I’ll be sure to make a small order with different buttons to try them out before going too crazy.

Thanks again!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The body and microswitch parts of the triangular buttons are essentially the same as the Large Arcade button, so aside from the button shape, the action should be pretty much the same.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”