CircuitPython with Linux, any gotchas?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BrianLinuxing

CircuitPython with Linux, any gotchas?

Post by BrianLinuxing »

I've got to test some code and makes sense to do it on CircuitPython under Linux first (library space constraints, etc)

I thought it wise to ask, how is the CircuitPython on Debian?

[I have seen the warning about the libraries, etc but I intend to keep everything separate, as it should be.]

Are there any obvious gotchas on CircuitPython with Linux?

I've build MicroPython before and found it simple enough, but you never know eh? And I’d welcome your thoughts and experiences :)

Thanks, Brian

adafruit_support_carter

Re: CircuitPython with Linux, any gotchas?

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Only the CircuitPython *libraries* are used on linux installs. The actual Python used is full main C Python install. Blinka is the library that provides the interface between CircuitPython libraries and full Python running on linux:
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... x/overview

However, generic linux, like running on a PC, is not fully supported. It really only makes sense for running on Single Board Computers like Raspberry Pi's that provide the hardware interfaces like I2C and SPI.

BrianLinuxing

Re: CircuitPython with Linux, any gotchas?

Post by BrianLinuxing »

Thank you for the reply.

I take your point about it not being supported.

But there is method to my means!

At the moment, with my IoT app on the Pico (running 7.3.3 CP) I run out of space with imported libraries.

I know it all works on proper full Python (I have tested it), therefore I need to calculate what libraries/modules do what and where I can save space.

Therefore, as I run **only** Linux it makes sense to trial it out on CP 7.3.3 under Linux to gauge the bits I will need to fix when I get it fully (hopefully) working on the Pico.

Obviously, I am commenting out any routines which require Pico specific support in the interim. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”