Sniffing with Bluefruit compared to PacketLogger?

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
breadadams

Sniffing with Bluefruit compared to PacketLogger?

Post by breadadams »

This question may be a little vague, so if more info is needed please ask away.

I'm working on a pet project in my spare time, writing a custom app for my SmartGyro Ziro2 electric scooter, and I'm trying to figure out how to communicate with it via bluetooth.

So far I've been able to connect to the scooter in my app, and I'm currently intercepting traffic (with PacketLogger on macOS, exported to Wireshark) between my iPhone and the scooter. Using the scooter's official app there's a lock feature, where you can set a passcode. So I've been setting different codes and then recording the BT traffic as I unlock the scooter, doing so hoping to spot where the passcode is sent, however I'm not having any luck (no payloads appear to match the passcode sent).

From what I can see in Wireshark I'm thinking the payloads are encoded, however since I don't have much experience with this I may be misinterpreting something.

My question is, based on the above, would acquiring a Bluefruit sniffer possibly give me better results with the debugging? Or is it likely that I would still be seeing the same encoded payloads?

---

TLDR; Does Bluefruit do some magic that I'm missing out on by using Apple's PacketLogger?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Sniffing with Bluefruit compared to PacketLogger?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Rule number zero in cyber-security is never to store or transmit passwords in plain-text. They are most likely encrypted somehow and you would see exactly the same data with a bluetooth sniffer.

breadadams

Re: Sniffing with Bluefruit compared to PacketLogger?

Post by breadadams »

Ok, thanks a lot for the response, I had a feeling that may be the case.

I'll keep tinkering and see if I can figure something out! 🙂

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”