Circuit Python

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
JPF100

Circuit Python

Post by JPF100 »

I just received a Grand Central board. I was able to update the boot loader from 1.23.1 to 3.14.0. I loaded version 7.3.3 of circuitpython. Only one file shows up in the Circuitpy volume. Boot_out which shows the latest version of circuitypython. 7.3.3. There are no other files or folders that show up. When I try to run a simple .py file, I get access denied. Please help. Thanks Jon

dastels

Re: Circuit Python

Post by dastels »

You installed the correct build of CircuitPython? From https://circuitpython.org/board/grandce ... 4_express/?

You've read and followed the CircuitPython guide? https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython?

What are you trying to run? Is it copying to CIRCUITPY ok? Is it called code.py?

Dave

JPF100

Post by JPF100 »

Thanks, I made the mistake of trying to run the file as a command like I do in the sublime console. When I launched the MU editor and "SAVED" the file to the D: drive, it Worked! So I will soldier on and hopefully I will be able to toggle all of the IO by the end of the day, (PDT). Thanks again!

JPF100

Post by JPF100 »

When I run a program the green flashing light goes away and a constant light comes on kind of white, not tottally green. I try to reset it from the keyboard, but it won't reset from the keyboard. The only program that seems to run is the flashing red light, but then I have to manually reset it. Any thoughts? This is a grand central with boot loader 3.14.0 and circuit python 7.3.3

dastels

Post by dastels »

Please explain what you mean by "reset from the keyboard"?

What are you seeing in the REPL?

Dave

JPF100

Post by JPF100 »

When I power up the Board, the green light blinks three times, then goes off then blinks about every 5 seconds.

I open MU editor with the blinking light program. I save it but nothing happens except the green light blinks every 5 seconds.

When I click in the MU editor's serial console window, the board's green light turns a bright pale blue and stays on constantly.

CTL-C does nothing, CTL-D turns off the bright LED and the green start blinking every 5 seconds.

The red light used to come on when I started, but now it doesn't at all.

I have taken all precautions with regard to ESD from the beginning. I re-loaded stable boot and stable circujtPY as well from the latest code on the web site.

JPF100

Post by JPF100 »

Here is a video.

The first state is power up.

The second state is intermittent green blinking.

The third state is when save the program in mu editor, no real change.

The forth state is when I open the MU serial console and click in it. The light goes on steady.

The fifth state is when I select control D and the light goes off and the green light blinks every 5 seconds.

Tried to send a video, but it is 180meg, don't want to blow up your buffer there. Thanks Jon

JPF100

Post by JPF100 »

I know the red light hardware still works to some degree. I hit the reset button twice and it shows the boot directory in explorer. The red light comes on mostly steady, it blinks off dimly about once every 3 seconds.

dastels

Post by dastels »

OK, but what is output in the REPL? aka Mu's serial console?

What code are you saving as CIRCUITPY/code.py?

BTW the steady white NeoPixel indicates that you are in the REPL.

Please answer the questions I ask as I am trying to get the information I need to help you get this working. I'm trying to figure out what you're doing.

Dave

JPF100

Post by JPF100 »

I installed Arduino. Out of the boot loader I am able to predictably control bit 13, AKA the LED. I think I will move on with Arduino, as I think I have a problem with Circuit Python.

Many thanks for all your help!

Jon

dastels

Post by dastels »

If you read/follow the tutorial for CircuitPython on the Grand Central, as well as the general CircuitPython tutorial. it should install and run smoothly. See https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gra ... cuitpython and https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-circuitpython.

Dave

JPF100

Post by JPF100 »

Do you have a pin list for the grand central that maps to the SAM D5x/E5x data sheet. In order to map the SPI lines, I had to resort to a DMM and cell phone camera. Thanks Jon

dastels

Post by dastels »

I suggest checking the schematic https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gra ... /downloads.

Dave

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”