Purchase Recommendation?

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
IanLukeFinley

Purchase Recommendation?

Post by IanLukeFinley »

Hey there Experts!

So, for DragonCon next year, I want to built a costume that has several lighting effects, distributed around the costume (some in the belt, some the jacket, some the prop, etc.) each of which has it's own power and controller.

What I *think* will work is a Trinket M0 (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3500), powered by 3 AA batteries (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4779), running a strip of 20-40 NeoPixels for each section. If I can keep the cost-per-section under $15 I'm on budget, and this looks like it will do that.

Before I start investing through, are there any considerations I should make? Last year I did my costume with centralized LiPo batteries, but they would only run ~5 hours, and then take that long again to charge. This year I'm hoping to have a replacable power solution.

Let me know your thoughts if you have any, and thank you again for guiding and supporting a novice maker!
Smaller.jpg
Smaller.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 126 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Purchase Recommendation?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Last year I did my costume with centralized LiPo batteries, but they would only run ~5 hours,
What size LiPo were you using? Good quality Alkaline AA cells are generally in the 2500mAh range. However, they have relatively high internal resistance and their output voltage drops steadily during use, so their useful life is typically shorter with high-drain loads than a LiPo with a similar capacity rating.

XRAD

Re: Purchase Recommendation?

Post by XRAD »

maybe something like a 7500mAh RC truck battery (2s ) and a high amp step down 5v regulator (or more than one).....to fast charge the lipo, you would need a fast balanced charger, not one of the small wall warts... or have two batteries and change them out when needed. Depends on your design, and if you want a belt located battery and wiring....

I use big lipos like these and they last a long time....

but there is cost $$ for power.....

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”