comparing various Adafruit temperature+humidity STEMMA QT sensor boards

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
vladak

comparing various Adafruit temperature+humidity STEMMA QT sensor boards

Post by vladak »

I'd like to monitor temperature and humidity in each room/closet in our apartment. To do so, I'd like to use something like Adafruit QT Py ESP32-S2 WiFi Dev Board with STEMMA QT with a STEMMA QT board. The QT Py's will send the metrics to a MQTT topic.

Now, Adafruit offers quite a bunch of sensors with STEMMA QT capable of measuring temperature and humidity. I'd like to buy one that has CircuitPython library, is reasonably precise and ideally under $10.

For my outdoor temperature measurement I'm already using Adafruit TMP117 ±0.1°C High Accuracy I2C Temperature Sensor - STEMMA QT / Qwiic which is nice and precise, however does not measure humidity. I like that it has the cut-out to avoid temperature bridging.

Now, my candidates are: Which one should I take ? Also, has anyone tried to complete a table of differences between these already ?

Franklin97355

Re: comparing various Adafruit temperature+humidity STEMMA QT sensor boards

Post by Franklin97355 »

I have an aht20 in my closet and found it adequate. The environment does not shift and does not need to be precise ( I can't tell a few degrees up or down and the air handler cycles a bit.) You need to figure out what is important in what you are using it for

vladak

Post by vladak »

Franklin97355 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:44 pm I have an aht20 in my closet and found it adequate. The environment does not shift and does not need to be precise ( I can't tell a few degrees up or down and the air handler cycles a bit.) You need to figure out what is important in what you are using it for
Thanks for the reply. I am also inclined towards AHT20 as it is simple design with the cut-out, cheap, has CircuitPython support and reasonable precison for home indoor use. I'd also like to get something that supports deep sleep to save power, maybe that's a I2C rather than sensor board feature.

I asked primarly to get a knack of how people decide between the variety of temp/humidity sensors. Some of these have funky features like CRC protection, ability to change I2C address, extended high accuracy ranges, filter in front of the sensor etc.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I asked primarly to get a knack of how people decide between the variety of temp/humidity sensors. Some of these have funky features like CRC protection, ability to change I2C address, extended high accuracy ranges, filter in front of the sensor etc.
I think it is knowing what you want it to do and the willingness to experiment, it's also the fun. Let's see if others have opinions on the subject.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”