Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout not working properly

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
afcaveman

Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout not working properly

Post by afcaveman »

I just received my 8266, and I am unable to get it into bootloader mode, so that I can flash it. I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0131V0WYI?ps ... ct_details
I found that I was using a regular FTDI USB RS-232 converter (usb-rs232-we-1800-bt) instead of usb-rs232-we-1800-bt _ 3.3. I have since ordered the correct cable, but do I need to order a new 8266? Just wondering if I fried it or not... I did also try a usb-rs232-we-1800-bt _ 5.0 cable as well, without any luck.

The issue I had with the unit is that I found if I didn't connect the Tx line, I was able to get it into bootloader mode, but as soon as I would connect it, the red light would go out completely instead of going to the dim state.

Thanks

rooppoorali

Re: Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout not working properly

Post by rooppoorali »

I think it's better to order another Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout to be on the safe side.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Huzzah ESP8266 Breakout not working properly

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Agree with above. If the ESP8266 saw actual RS232 voltage levels, then there's a good chance the RX/TX pins saw got over voltage inputs and are likely damaged. If timing is not critical, can always try with correct cable and see what happens.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”