ICM-20649 Specs

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mll413

ICM-20649 Specs

Post by mll413 »

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase the ICM-20649 and am wondering:
1. What is the maximum output rate for the gyros and accelerometers?
2. Do you have specifications for Gyro bias instability?

Thanks.

sj_remington

Re: ICM-20649 Specs

Post by sj_remington »

Datasheet for the ICM-20649 can be found here, with all the details: https://invensense.tdk.com/products/mot ... icm-20649/

mll413

Post by mll413 »

Thanks for the answer. I had actually found the data sheet, which had everything else I needed.

I didn't see anything on bias stability in there (0 hits when Ctrl+F on the word stability); is there another spec with that value?

From Section 8.3.1, on page 61, it looks like the highest output rate is 1.1 kHz; am I reading that correctly?

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

I didn't see anything on bias stability in there

If you mean gyro rate offset when stationary, look at the ZRO tolerance and variation with temperature (and the accompanying notes). Also, the sensitivity (scale factor) varies with temperature.

The part is not recommended for new designs. The newer ones presumably have better performance.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (24.86 KiB) Viewed 48 times

mll413

Post by mll413 »

Thanks. I did see the stationary Gyro bias. I was more referring to the bias drift (more technical info on the "bias stability" here: https://www.mathworks.com/help/fusion/u ... iance.html). As in, any characteristics of how the bias slowly drifts over time.

Also I forgot to mention in my original post, but if there is any sort of G-dependent gyro bias (this is for a model rocket) that would be great. I didn't see any mention of G-dependent bias in the document either.

I didn't realize this was an obsolete part...do you have the part number for the newest version of this? This is for a new design so I definitely want to use the latest model.

Thanks for the help!

sj_remington

Post by sj_remington »

As in, any characteristics of how the bias slowly drifts over time.
My understanding is that the drift is mostly due to temperature changes, which you will not be able to control in a model rocket.

No doubt other environmental influences also affect the offset and gain, but I see no reason to assume that the mere passage of time (i.e. a few hours or days) would have any measurable effect.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”