Halowing M4 with silicon Rev. D issues with UF2 test examples

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
us3r

Halowing M4 with silicon Rev. D issues with UF2 test examples

Post by us3r »

I have a couple Halowing M4 with SAMD51J19 silicon Rev. D (Datecode 2049).
I upgraded the bootloader to v3.14.0 and circutpython to v7.3.3.

When I drag the HALLOWINGM_DIAGNOSTIC.UF2 onto the HALLOWBOOT drive, the board does not respond (blank screen).
UF2 file downloaded from:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... shooting-2

When I drag the M4_EYE_RAINBOW.UF2 onto the HALLOWBOOT drive the board does not respond (blank screen).
When I drag the HALLOM4EYE.UF2 onto the HALLOWBOOT drive the eye appears on the LCD.
UF2 files downloaded from:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-hal ... /downloads

All three examples (HALLOWINGM_DIAGNOSTIC.UF2, M4_EYE_RAINBOW.UF2, and HALLOM4EYE.UF2) run without any issues on the several Halowing M4 with SAMD51J19 silicon Rev. A (Datecode 1903) with bootloader v3.14.0 and circutpython v7.3.3 I tested.

mikeysklar

Re: Halowing M4 with silicon Rev. D issues with UF2 test examples

Post by mikeysklar »

Interesting find. Thank you for testing the different UF2 images across both devices.

Is the Rev. D (datecode: 2049) board also the Orange Halloween Edition of the HalloWing M4 Express? I ask because the only hardware change I see noted is the MSA311 vs MSA301 sensor.

Revision History:

As of Feb 22, 2022 - This board comes with an MSA311 instead of MSA301 sensor. They are both equivalent accelerometers. Adafruit_Arcada will support either sensor, the MSA301 is no longer made.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4300

us3r

Post by us3r »

Thank you for the reply and for bringing to my attention the change in the accelerometer for which I was unaware.

All the Hallowing M4 I have with silicon Rev. A (Datecode 1903) have accelerometer with markingsD942 (or D94Z)

All the Hallowing M4 I have with silicon Rev. D (Datecode 2049) has accelerometer with markings F817 (or FB17)

It is clear that the accelerometer is different (and more likely the MSA311 is installed on the later).

Both version looks identical, have clear soldermask (which gives that orange hue from the copper) and white silkscreen.

When the HALLOWINGM_DIAGNOSTIC.UF2 (and probably the M4_EYE_RAINBOW.UF2 if it reads the accelerometer) try to stablish communication with the accelerometer MSA301 (for which it was made in the first place) and finds MSA311, the .UF2 is failing to run.

Is the source code for the HALLOWINGM_DIAGNOSTIC.UF2 available for remake it from scratch with the appropriate modifications?

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I can ask engineering for an updated Hallowing M4 Diagnostic utility should that be the issue. I was not able to locate a github repo or other source area for determining what the diagnostic image is comprised of.

Are you able to see anything on the serial console when you boot with the "HALLOWINGM_DIAGNOSTIC.UF2" image?

us3r

Post by us3r »

I am not able to see anything on the serial console when I boot with the "HALLOWINGM_DIAGNOSTIC.UF2" image. The OS (Windows 10) is able to see the COM port.

I tired with the "HALLOM4EYE.UF2", which I know it works, and I confirmed that my serial works too.
Texture loaded!
Storing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>verify...OK
Texture loaded!
Storing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>verify...OK
Free RAM: 8127
When I tired with the "M4_EYE_RAINBOW.UF2" image I get OS error message that my "USB device is not recognized".

I appreciate your help with on this.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”