Python Programming Language Syntax & Commands

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
RickyRivits

Python Programming Language Syntax & Commands

Post by RickyRivits »

Looking for a Programming manual that helps me understand how to Code Stepper Motor applications inside Circuit Python. Found pre-programmed examples but at this point I need to understand the syntax & commands. Is there a manual I can read? Thanks for your time.

rooppoorali

Re: Python Programming Language Syntax & Commands

Post by rooppoorali »

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

You could start with the tutorial and, if you get stuck, ask here with specifics.

westfw

Post by westfw »

There are some very nice online Python classes. While they're for Python (the general Language) rather than circuitPython (a subset/modified version of Python for manipulating hardware), they're probably a good starting place if you're interested in the general "Syntax and Commands."

I've like the Charles Severance "Python for Everyone" Series from U Michigan. "Dr Chuck" has an evangelical enthusiasm (not unlike Lady Ada!), and the course is available in several forms ( https://www.py4e.com/ ) (also, it's specifically aimed at people who are NOT CS majors.)
(Unfortunately, Coursera and EdX seem to have started charging for classes if you want to have the homeworks (auto-)graded, but you can still watch the videos and get the class materials for free.)

MIT has a more rigorous "CS101 using Python" class (for CS majors!) online as well. https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/6-0001-intr ... fall-2016/

RickyRivits

Post by RickyRivits »

To: Everyone. Thanks for the support. This is my problem with Python.
I had good results with python examples like simple blinks so I have the boot process down and I can load a program that runs... but with Stepper Motor files I am not getting anywhere with python. Although I have had great results with IDE programming. IDE proves my hardware is working and setup correctly but the Python software is just killing me. In my life I coded in Basic, C, and C++ and have extensive experiences with PLC's, Motor drives and many other products but this Python code is just killing me. I feel like I am just hacking and I hate that.

With IDE all the motor examples work like clockwork.
With Python...all examples for Stepper motors fail, know its a library problem.
I am working inside Python programming DC Motor + Stepper with both FeatherWing and Metro hardware both work fine when I use IDE.

So when I choose links found in the documents, I can manually download and then install libraries.
These are the ones I need.

adafruit_pca9685 ( But I Can't find this one in the download )
adafruit_bus_device ( Bingo...found this one aok )
adafruit_register ( bingo again Found this one too )
adafruit_motor ( Holy Moly Bingo found this one )
adafruit_motorkit ( Ahh...Can't find this one too ) and without it example code can't run. I see errors pointing to this.

I read all the guides over and over again and again but I really think the downloads are just not complete as two are just not there.

I know how to down load bundles and add a library. These two are just missing. I have asked other and they just point me to the same downloads...and guess what those files are still missing.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”