LED Ring, wiring setup?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tztanizawa

LED Ring, wiring setup?

Post by tztanizawa »

Hi all,

I'm designing a piece of jewelry that incorporates some very small electrical components, specifically the LED sequins. I'm extremely novice when it comes to even basic electrical stuff so I appreciate any form of help I could get with this. I've gotten help with this project earlier but I'm specifically wondering how might I go about wiring this together and the setup for getting this to work properly. I've attached a pdf with a basic schematic of how it would ideally be composed.

Thanks!

- T
Attachments
RingIdeaSpecs-compressed.pdf
(67.3 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LED Ring, wiring setup?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The sequins are pretty simple. They work on 3v-6v and require no additional components other than a power source.

Looks like your batteries will provide just over 3v, so that is perfect. You just need to connect the '-' end of your battery stack to the '-' end of the sequin. And the '+ end to the '+ end.

tztanizawa

Post by tztanizawa »

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured out as much as that but I still have to figure out how to attach the tact (on/off) switch and other things. Like, does it need to be soldered? What kind of wires can I use that are small enough? Etc

adafruit_support_bill

The switch just gets wired in series with the sequin. Either + side or - side will work - whatever is more convenient in that tight space. Note that it is a 'momentary' switch, so it will only be on when you are pressing the button.

Those switches are designed for surface mounting. So you will need a fine-point tip and a steady hand with the soldering iron. I'd go with 30 AWG or finer wire.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4730
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3889

You won't be able to solder to the coin-cells. So you will need to design some sort of contacts that press firmly onto the battery surfaces. Foil tape might be a good choice for use in such a small space. Maybe a thin strip of foam tape underneath one side so that it compresses against the coin cells when the top is attached.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3483
https://www.adafruit.com/product/5019

tztanizawa

Post by tztanizawa »

Hey again Bill,

Thanks again for your help again, I really appreciate it.

Ah, okay I didn't know that it was a "momentary" switch. Is there a certain technical term that designates something between a momentary or permanently on/off type of switch/button? Ideally I want something that's going to be on/off but this is very much my Mark-1 so to speak and a beginning model. In terms of soldering that switch, understand the back of the wires will be wired onto the back but curious about what can be on top of it. In my schematics/blueprint, I gave enough room for something to be placed on top of it ebcause I assumed it works with just simple pressure as a button, but wondering also if I can actually adhere something to the top of it, like metal or some kind of other material for instance so that the outside of the ring is flush in appearance and material if that makes sense.

For the two coin cells I figured I could just tape them like you said with foil or thin conductive tape but wondering does that mean I'm just directly taping exposed wire to either side? If it works it works, just want something less janky in the future. Understandably I have very little space to work with here but if I can figure out the best way to configure all these things neatly and to be effective.

Cheers!

- T

adafruit_support_bill

For an on/of switch, search for "on/off" or "on-off". Mouser and DigiKey have parametric searches which can help filter through the thousands of choices.
https://www.mouser.com/c/electromechani ... %20-%20OFF

However, you will probably find that most on-off type switches tend to be a little larger due to the internal latching mechanism.

At this stage of the game, it is probably best to 3D print a prototype and start experimenting with how all the parts will fit together. With extreme space limitations such as you have, it will probably take a few iterations to get it right.

tztanizawa

Post by tztanizawa »

That's what I've experienced. I guess that an on/off switch simply doesn't exist at that scale. I've already 3d modeled several iterations to be 3d printed, I guess I just ideally would have something very very small and non obtrusive.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”