Circuit Playground Express - touch pad static?

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Rrww57

Circuit Playground Express - touch pad static?

Post by Rrww57 »

I’ve programmed the CPE for the Fruit Drums and the pads work great … but when I put on alligator clips, there’s static … even when the fruit is unattached. Any suggestions? Thanks.

dastels

Re: Circuit Playground Express - touch pad static?

Post by dastels »

Have you tried lowering the touchpad sensitivity/threshold? The wire and fruit act as an antenna and will pick up EMF in the area.

Dave

Rrww57

Post by Rrww57 »

Thanks! Will try this afternoon. I was thinking one of the alligator clip leads might have a short as another possibility. Will check that as well. Will let you know … thanks again.

Rrww57

Post by Rrww57 »

I wasn't able to figure out the code to lower the sensitivity and will gladly accept any 'clues'! Secondly, I noticed that when I touch it with my finger and remove it, the .wav plays only once. If I keep my finger on it, it does, of course, keep playing. But ... when any leads are touching the pad, it just plays continuously. What am I missing? Thanks, much!

dastels

Post by dastels »

I suspect it's just the sensitivity. The leads act as antennae and give a constant "touch" level.

There a line near the start:

Code: Select all

cpx.adjust_touch_threshold(600)
Play around with the threshold value. Higher values mean less sensitive to touch.

Dave

Rrww57

Post by Rrww57 »

Thanks again ... on it ...

Rrww57

Post by Rrww57 »

I'm trying and certainly learning a lot and yet this grandpa has been unable to figure it out. File is attached if anyone, and "dastels", I know your out there listening, or anyone else, so TIA!

"((capPins).adjust_touch_threshold(600))" seemed like a good idea but didn't obviously ...
extra code.txt
code.py file
(1 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

dastels

Post by dastels »

This is what I was looking at: https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... cuitpython. It uses the cpx module to take care of the details of the hardware.

Dave

Rrww57

Post by Rrww57 »

That code worked perfectly! Thanks, dastels! Being new, I didn't understand the different language and where to insert ""((capPins).adjust_touch_threshold(600))"" or whatever the command should be. Since it was a later programming, 2019, I thought I'd start there. Still trying ... but solved! Thanks again ...
Attachments
tonights code.txt
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Rrww57

Post by Rrww57 »

Gee … I’m going back to the trough …
The problem now is, any time I make a change in code, I have to unattach the clips from the CPX, restart the CPX (using the little button on the unit) and the reattach the clips to the CPX. Is this usual? Is the workaround? Thanks much!

dastels

Post by dastels »

I don't think you should have to disconnect/reconnect the clips. What happens if you don't?

Dave

Rrww57

Post by Rrww57 »

All RGB’s blink red then nothing. I can hit the reset button on the PBX, but … unless I’ve unhooked before I reset/reboot the clips, it won’t work normally.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”