17x30 LED Backdrop

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Impersonator

17x30 LED Backdrop

Post by Impersonator »

Hey all! I've been making an addressable LED Matrix (WS2812 chip) a while ago, and been thinking about how to live control this. So far i've used an Arduino with different animations, but the biggest problem here is that the running sketch freezes a few seconds while uploading a new one, so it's a little hassle to maybe use it in a live setting.
I came across some projects with using Raspberry Pi and video input, but it seems like i would need another controller together with the RPI.

Is there anyone else who might have a suggestion for how to control this? Either as a video-wall, art-net with DMX from Qlab or anything else?

-Freddy.

Impersonator

Re: 17x30 LED Backdrop

Post by Impersonator »

adafruit_support_mike

Re: 17x30 LED Backdrop

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You have a couple of options.

One is to connect the microcontroller to a storage device like an SD card so you don't have to upload new sketches every time. All you need to do is tell the microcontroller to load data for a new animation.

You could also use a RasPi, which will have plenty of memory. Historically the RasPi wasn't great with NeoPixels because of the way Linux handles process swapping, but people have figured out how to generate the control signals using DMA, and that code is mature by now:

https://learn.adafruit.com/neopixels-on ... i/overview

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”