Help with flora led heart project

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lilitl

Help with flora led heart project

Post by lilitl »

Hi, I am following this tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/heart-rate-badge However, I would like to use a generic 12 neopixel ring instead of the 8 Flora neopixels. Would that work? Would keeping the same battery and setup work with the ring? How should I wire the ring?
I need to finish this today so I would be very grateful if you could please answer asap.
Regards.

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Help with flora led heart project

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Would that work?
Should work fine. From the point of view of the FLORA, it's just another strip of NeoPixels. Only difference is there are 12 instead of 8.
Would keeping the same battery and setup work with the ring?
Yep.
How should I wire the ring?
Same as shown in the guide. And then update code to change the NeoPixel count from 8 to 12, which is the first parameter in the call here:

Code: Select all

Adafruit_NeoPixel strip = Adafruit_NeoPixel(12, 12, NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

lilitl

Post by lilitl »

Thank you. I followed your instructions and the neopixels turn on, however they don't seem to be responding to the heartbeat transmitter. They blink whether I wear the transmitter or not and the rythm at which they blik does not change. How can I test whether the transmitter works? What could be happening?
Regards.

lilitl

Post by lilitl »

I charged the battery and plugged it, but nothing happens. The battery doesn't seem to be working.

adafruit_support_carter

Which battery is not charging? The lipo battery used with the Flora? Or the battery in the heart rate monitor itself?

lilitl

Post by lilitl »

Thanks for your response. I plugged the transmitter to my Arduino UNO and I could confirm that it does work. However, the lipo battery is not working properly. It charges very quickly, but uncharges in minutes even without using it. I have not managed to power the flora with it not even once. I am using:
Lithium Ion Polymer Battery - 3.7v 150mAh PID: 1317
and
Adafruit Micro Lipo - USB LiIon/LiPoly chargerAdafruit Micro Lipo - USB LiIon/LiPoly charger - v1 PID: 1304

adafruit_support_carter

That lipo battery / charge combo should work fine. Can you clarify what you mean by charging quickly? How long is it taking? That's a relatively small battery. If fully discharged, would expect charging to take maybe an hour or so.

How do you know the battery is losing charge without even being used?

lilitl

Post by lilitl »

By charging quickly I mean about 10 minutes. I asume that it is not charged after a few minutes (maybe 30 minutes, I am not sure) because I plug it to the charger again and again the red led turns on until after 10 minutes. Also, flora led turns on when I plug it to a computer, but not when I plug it to the battery.

adafruit_support_carter

At this point, is anything attached to the FLORA that might be shorting something out?

Double check the ON/OFF switch on the FLORA and make sure it's in the ON position.

lilitl

Post by lilitl »

I started over and it seems to work now. Thank you.

lilitl

Post by lilitl »

I forgot to ask: how long do you think that the battery will last with 12 neopixels?
Regards

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”