QT Py ESP32-S2 WiFi issues

For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rdagger

QT Py ESP32-S2 WiFi issues

Post by rdagger »

I wasn't getting a very reliable WiFi connection with the QT Py ESP32-S2 (Revision C) so I ordered the version with the uFL antenna port along with a 2.4GHz mini flexible WiFi antenna (Product ID: 2308). It's a little better, but it still suffers from lost connections. Are there any strategies for placing the antenna to maximize reception? My antenna will be located on the outside of a metal enclosure. Does exposing more of the wire improve reception? Does the orientation affect reception? Does proximity to metal or other electronic devices affect reception?

mikeysklar

Re: QT Py ESP32-S2 WiFi issues

Post by mikeysklar »

Have as much of the antenna exposed out of the box would be good.

What is the distance to your WiFi AP that the Qt Py is connecting to?

Is there much other traffic or other APs using the same frequency? Maybe your AP can be on another channel?

Orientation can matter quite a bit, but that should be reduced with the UFL antenna. I've boosted my WiFi signals quite a bit with pringles cans and metallic bowls angled towards the AP.

rdagger

Post by rdagger »

mikeysklar wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:34 pm Have as much of the antenna exposed out of the box would be good.

What is the distance to your WiFi AP that the Qt Py is connecting to?

Is there much other traffic or other APs using the same frequency? Maybe your AP can be on another channel?

Orientation can matter quite a bit, but that should be reduced with the UFL antenna. I've boosted my WiFi signals quite a bit with pringles cans and metallic bowls angled towards the AP.
Do you consider the wire from the connector to the antenna PCB part of the antenna that should be exposed?

It's about 30 feet from a ZenWiFi AX6600.

Currently there are only 2 other WiFi devices on the AP. A Raspberry Pi Zero W in my attic and an older generic ESP32 in my backyard with an 8dbi omni-directonal rubber antenna. Both have been reliably connected for over a year and use very little bandwidth. Everything else in my house is hardwired.

Using a larger antenna for the Qt Py is not preferable because of aesthetic considerations for this project.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

If possible I would expose the black wire from the UFL connector to the antenna as much as you can.

The 30' distance to the AP is that line of sight or through walls?

Are you using Arduino or CircuitPython on this board?

rdagger

Post by rdagger »

mikeysklar wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:17 pm If possible I would expose the black wire from the UFL connector to the antenna as much as you can.

The 30' distance to the AP is that line of sight or through walls?

Are you using Arduino or CircuitPython on this board?
There is a 1 interior wall (drywall).
I'm using CircuitPython. I had to use 7.3.3 because I couldn't get the WiFi to work at all with 8.0.0-beta.
I'll continue to experiment. I've noticed some improvement by placing 3mm foam between the metal enclosure and the antenna pcb.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wireless: WiFi and Bluetooth”