Servo control and DAC conflicts?

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
WShawn

Servo control and DAC conflicts?

Post by WShawn »

Hello:

What's the simplest, smallest and most cost-effective way to control two servos and play a few audio files on a handheld prop? I keep reading that trying to control servos and drive a DAC at the same time creates conflicts due to timer interference. Or something like that. I'm a newbie, doing my best to figure this out after several hours of reading through forum posts.

I have an Itsy BitsyM0 Express and 2.5W amp on order to drive a PKE meter prop. (I have a prototype that's working with a Teensy 3.2 and Prop Shield LC, but you can't get the 3.2 anymore).

https://youtu.be/gct2NALXWS4

My two sound files would fit on the 2MB SPI flash chip built in to the Itsy Bitsy. It looks like the Audio_FeatherM0 library is my best bet for playing my sound clips when triggered.

I don't have enough experience to know whether there's some way to make the DAC and servos use different timers so both can work at the same time. Modifying the Teensy-specific Servo Library moved the servo timer from the PDB timer to the LPTMR on the Teensy 3.2. Is there an equivalent approach for microcontrollers using the SAMD21 processor?

I was hoping that the ServoTimer2 library could do this sort of thing, but it sounds like that's old and unsupported. Is there anything newer? I'd rather not buy a whole separate servo prop shield to drive two lousy servos.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”