TIP - How to get Adafruit ESP32 Feather V2 working...

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ToniS

TIP - How to get Adafruit ESP32 Feather V2 working...

Post by ToniS »

Hello.

I am using:
Adafruit ESP32 Feather - 4MB Flash 520 KB SRAM
Adafruit TFT FeatherWing - 3.5" 480x320 Touchscreen
Arduino IDE version 2.0.1

I am writing trace logs and drawing graphics from the SD card on the FeatherWing (see attached example)
and I liked to draw it much faster by first pre-loading it into memory.
To do that I needed more RAM, so I found the last Adafruit ESP32 V2 available to buy in Europe.

Unfortunately, the Arduino IDE Setup with cloning a 2GB Git repository for ESP32 V2 board support doesn't work.
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp ... -ide-setup

I could not even compile the Blink example for ESP32 V2 due to a problem with the linker.
In the verbose build log I found that xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc was replaced by xtensa-esp32-elf-g++
and resulted in the error messaages that also other users have reported, but no real solutions for:

...xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find crt1-sim.o: No such file or directory
...xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find _vectors.o: No such file or directory
collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

There was also other code problems with the cloned Git repo, which I workedaround by hacking it.
I reinstalled stuff and tried basically everything, Arduino versions, Espressif ESP32 board support etc.

SUDDENLY...

I found a page with "Unofficial list of 3rd party boards support urls"
https://github.com/arduino/Arduino/wiki ... pport-urls
On this page you will find:

Espressif ESP32: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espre ... index.json
* Many variants of ESP32 boards

I added this one under File->Preferences->Additional Boards Manager URLs
right after the https://dl.espressif.com/dl/package_esp32_index.json and restarted my Arduino IDE.
It began to update with a great number of additional boards and examples, including Adafruit ESP32 V2. :)

I could then build and run all my sketches on Adafruit ESP V2, including one demo with ~20MB C-code and its libraries
with lots of execution trace log printing and drawing graphics on the 480x320 FeatherWing.
Then I could get rid of the cloned 2GB Git repo in my sketchbook.

I worked right away for me, so it could work for other Adafruit ESP32 V2.
The only thing that does not yet work is the yellow LED flickering by the Adafruit_ImageReader while drawing graphics.

Regards/Toni

See also "Regarding the Adafruit_ImageReader example not compiling for Adafruit ESP32 Feather..."
viewtopic.php?t=195338
Attachments
My Adafruit 480x320 FeatherWing StartPage
My Adafruit 480x320 FeatherWing StartPage
TinyDVM_StartPage_2.png (336.97 KiB) Viewed 143 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: TIP - How to get Adafruit ESP32 Feather V2 working...

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Good info, thanks for posting it!

We've seen other people having issues with the ESP32 when using Arduino 2.0. Some of them have gotten things to work by dropping back to the older 1.x version.

Give that a try and see if you can get things to work. If there are issues with the v2 Arduino IDE, it will help to have more information.

ToniS

Post by ToniS »

Thanks.
My Arduino 2.0.1 works for Adafruit ESP V2 now, so "don't touch". (and the UI in the 1.8 version is not so fun)

I am using these technologies just to prove and demonstrate for clients that when using Model Driven Development
(MDD - Abstraction and Automation) you can "quite easily" target a new HW platform, like the Adafruit ESP32 Feather V2.

From the same abstract solution (model) you can target different platforms, like a custom manycore ASIC, Windows laptop, ESP32 Feather...
The key is the automation step, so you need a good and reusable UML Model Compiler for your chosen target programming language to generate.

See MDD examples in some slides attached here: viewtopic.php?t=195338

ToniS

Post by ToniS »

It is nice to get feedback, I really appreciate it. :)
Thanx again/Toni

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”