esp32-s3-tft arduino keeps changing ports

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jimk123

esp32-s3-tft arduino keeps changing ports

Post by jimk123 »

this is driving me crazy, every time I upload a sketch, push reset to start the sketch and open the serial window, the next time I upload I get a compiler error of invalid port, when I check the ports in the IDE it shows two, one named port 16 (adafruit feather esp32-s3-tft) and port 15 (esp32 dev). I cannot figure the pattern of closing the serial window, picking the 'dev' port, then getting it to upload again. I usually end up have to click a different port number and eventually it uploads and I can open the serial window again but the IDE is so slow to compile on the esp32 boards it wastes a lot of time.
thanks

jimk123

Re: esp32-s3-tft arduino keeps changing ports

Post by jimk123 »

btw this only happens if I open the serial monitor window. If I do not open a serial monitor window I can re-compile and upload over and over and only have to push the reset button after an upload.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

By leaving the serial window open, the COM port appears to be taken when the board resets. Therefore it can not reuse it again and a different one gets assigned.

Windows also seems to have a feature of alternating between two COM ports between resets sometimes.

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

So should i close the serial window before i re-compile and upload as a work around ? This is my first time using the esp32-s3 tft, previously i was using the adafruit esp32 and never had an issue with the serial window.
Thanks

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

A little annoying, but that's probably the easiest fix.

Different boards will have different behaviors. The details are in the hardware specifics for how they manage the connection back to the PC. Every board resets after a sketch upload to run the newly uploaded firmware. With some board designs, that reset also causes a disconnect with the PC. For others, it does not. And different OS's tend to handle this in different ways, which adds to the "fun".

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Thanks for the update!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”