Metro ESP32 S2 impossible to flash

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Jardi

Metro ESP32 S2 impossible to flash

Post by Jardi »

Hi all,

I started a few days ago to play with this metro and a led Matrix, it worked very well with CircuitPython, that I installed with UF2 method. Then i put Wippersnapper on it, and as I didn't know how to get back to CircuitPython drive, I decided to factory reset my metro card.

There was my mistake, there is no file online to reset it, and I didn't pay attention to the file I drag&droped, which was for Adafruit ESP32-S2 Feather. Since this moment, I can't have my card in download mode, therefore esptool is useless, and even if I can drop UF2 files, I'm stucked on the Wippersnapper one... If any factory reset file exists I think it would save me.

If you have any solution, I would be very glad haha

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Metro ESP32 S2 impossible to flash

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

You should still be able to enter ROM bootloader mode and connect to it with esptool:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... bootloader
The ROM bootloader is baked in and there's generally no way to make it unusable by installing incorrect firmware.

If you follow the above process to enter ROM bootloader mode, can you get esptool to report back the chip ID?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-met ... on-3076823

Jardi

Re: Metro ESP32 S2 impossible to flash

Post by Jardi »

I can't explain why but I succeeded connecting to Metro card. Therefore I could erase the circuit Python storage in safe mode, and now it works fine.

Thank you!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Metro, Metro Express, and Grand Central Boards”