FunHouse

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DGrzesikCSDF

Re: FunHouse

Post by DGrzesikCSDF »

I'm experiencing the same problem with the replacement Funhouse. They both only have the green LED and have not booted into the bootloader when I use the boot/reset button combo as suggested on the help page.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

It's most likely something with your setup. The processor on the FunHouse has a ROM bootloader that is baked in and makes it essentially unbrickable. For two of two new boards to not even show a COM port would be extremely rare.

How have you verified the USB cable is good?

Are you holding the BOOT button on the back of the FunHouse while pressing the RESET button on the front of the FunHouse?

DGrzesikCSDF

Post by DGrzesikCSDF »

I have held the button and then pushed reset. The cable is brand new and I have used it to successfully re-flash a new QTPy S3 and use the serial to monitor it using that cable on the same machine.

I was really surprised that in both cases the on Funhouse devices only the green LED lit when plugged in, there was no animation and the neopixels have remained dark.

DGrzesikCSDF

Post by DGrzesikCSDF »

With the Adafruit ESPTool webflasher I get the following from the new FunHouse:
ESP Web Flasher Loaded.
Connecting...
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
Error: Couldn't sync to ESP. Try resetting.

MakerMelissa

Post by MakerMelissa »

The only new things I can think to try are:
1. Be sure the board is hooked directly to your computer and going not through a hub.
2. Also make sure to try at the 115200 speed.

Melissa

DGrzesikCSDF

Post by DGrzesikCSDF »

Thanks Melissa. I have used 115200 Baud with a new Adafruit USB-C data cable directly and both FunHouse boards still only light the green LED.

I've used the same machine to flash and use my Wipper upgraded QTPy devices after your help. Maybe I can send these both back to Adafruit for troubleshooting and we can make a plan after they've been inspected?

MakerMelissa

Post by MakerMelissa »

Hi,

One of the things I was wondering was if there may not have been enough power getting to the FunHouse which has the TFT display yet there may have been with the QT Py, but I believe you had mentioned you had tried different computers and different cables. It's very unusual that one FunHouse would be behaving this way and having a second one behaving the exact same way suggests that it's likely something besides the boards.

As for shipping the FunHouses back for testing, I'm not sure if there's a procedure for that. I've inquired about that and will let you know once I hear back.

Thanks,
Melissa

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

If you're getting these messages:

Code: Select all

ESP Web Flasher Loaded.
Connecting...
Connected successfully.
Try hard reset.
Error: Couldn't sync to ESP. Try resetting.
Then your PC is at least able to make a basic connection to the FunHouse. To see "Connected successfully." the PC has successfully talked to the FunHouse. That seems different than the original issue which was not being able to get a COM port to show up.

Would you be willing to try running esptool.py directly via a command line?

DGrzesikCSDF

Post by DGrzesikCSDF »

*update

-I've gotten both of these devices running using the same USB-C cable and a Windows 10 ThinkPad.

Now that the devices are re-flashed they are running the firmware, including TFT and LED rainbow.

They still aren't visible on the M2 Macbook Pro when connected directly using either built-in USB-C port.

The Windows machine recognized the device very quickly, particularly when trying to enter the bootloader. That is something the Mac failed at every time.

MakerMelissa

Post by MakerMelissa »

That's excellent news. I'm not sure why they aren't being detected on the MacBook. Many of us use MacBooks as well (including myself), so these are usually fairly well tested on Macs. Do you know which version of MacOS it is running?

Melissa

dustingrzesik

Post by dustingrzesik »

It is a 2022 MacBook Pro M2 still running Monterey (12.6)

MakerMelissa

Post by MakerMelissa »

Yeah, that's what I'm on as well.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”