Reading and Changing the WINC1500 Transmission Power Level

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Greg314

Reading and Changing the WINC1500 Transmission Power Level

Post by Greg314 »

I have the Feather M0 WiFi. I am having trouble receiving it when it is placed at its final location. When it’s on my bench it works great. At its final location, sometimes it works, sometimes it works a little, sometimes not at all.

One thing that I would like to try is to check the modules transmission power setting and be able to change it if I so desire.

I have looked throughout the WiFi101 library and don’t see anything concerning the transmission power level setting. I have tried several Google searches and found some mention of it, but nothing concrete enough to write some code for.

Can somebody, please, give me a hand with this?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Reading and Changing the WINC1500 Transmission Power Level

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yeah, that's going to be a deep dive into the driver code. The only thing Wifi101 offers is a choice between high-power-mode and low-power-mode.

There are a couple of power-related functions in the Atmel driver source code:

https://github.com/arduino-libraries/Wi ... 1332-L1369

but those functions don't appear to be used anywhere else in the code. The comments for m2m_wifi_set_power_profile() say that you have to set the level after initializing the Wifi chip, before making any connections, and that you can't change it on the fly.

Wiring even that much functionality into the Wifi101 library will be an in-depth project. You'll need to get to know the code to see where such a feature could be wired into what already exists.

It probably wouldn't hurt to see if you can start a conversation with the library's authors over in the Arduino forums:

https://forum.arduino.cc/

They'll be able to help you zero in on the parts of the code you need to know.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”