V2 Feather Exchange/Refund

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
forum_questions_1

V2 Feather Exchange/Refund

Post by forum_questions_1 »

Hi, I have been trying to use the Mu editor to work on a project using stepper motors. I have tried a lot of things but I have not been able to get Mu to recognize my board, a ESP32 Feather V2 - 8MB Flash + 2 MB PSRAM - STEMMA QT.

Through messages with the forum, it sounds like Mu recognizes boards with another type of USB interface than the one I have. I didn't actually know there were different types of interfaces before I started to try to connect it.

Would it be possible to exchange my board for an S2 board, such as https://www.adafruit.com/product/5000? It sounds like this product would be recognized by the Mu editor, and would help get me going.
I have already soldered pins to the V2 for connection to the wing, but I thought I would check anyway.

Thank you for considering my request.

P.S. Just fyi, I am able to get the stepper going through the "examples" in Arduino, so all the connections are functioning (pins, USB cable). I was just hoping to do this with CircuitPython using Mu, rather than Arduino.

mikeysklar

Re: V2 Feather Exchange/Refund

Post by mikeysklar »

When did you purchase the controller?

Adafruit has a warranty, but in this case the Feather v2 is working so it may not apply.

forum_questions_1

Purchased on 10/28/22.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

You can ask [email protected] if a refund would be okay. Provide this forum link so they can see we discussed the issue here.

forum_questions_1

Thanks. I have been trying one more thing to try to make this work - the web-based system you referred to in another posting. I believe I have been able to connect the controller via usb. I am using the editor on code.circuitpython.org. It offered a connection choice of WiFi, Bluetooth, or USB and I chose USB.

At the top of the Serial screen it says: WiFi:off|REPL|8.0.0-beta.4

When I try to run a basic stepper motor code, I am getting the following in the Serial screen:
>>>import code (38)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I am wondering if I am getting close on the communication between the controller and python and if I have to just change something small. If I am making progress I'll hold off on requesting the refund. Thanks for any help.

forum_questions_1

Just fyi, "code(38)" is just the name of the py code file.

the first two line of code are:

import time
import board

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Try renaming the code(38) file to something else with only characters and numbers. I'm not sure how those parenthesis are working for parsing loading.

forum_questions_1

I have tried a few things but each time I press Save+Run in the Editor tab, the program adds a parenthesis and a number after the file (even if if the name is brand new).

I have been using the following code as a test.

import board
help("modules")

I think I might be close on getting this to work. In the Serial tab, I now get all the details about the board. Also, the Restart button in the Serial tab restarts the physical board, and the board's physical reset button changes the Serial screen. When I Save + Run, I do not get any output in Serial, but the board's LED turns solid blue. In short, there seems to be a good connection but I can't get any code to run.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

parenthesis having meaning in python so you will not be able use syntax like. Normally the syntax of parenthesis means to import specific functions from a library module.

Code: Select all

import code(38)
As long as your code has a normal name like code.py you can manually run the import.

import code
Can you post the code you are trying to run?

forum_questions_1

Thank you for getting back to me, and for the explanation about how parenthesis are interpreted.

I actually do not have any specific code right now. Do you have something simple which I could use to see if it runs?
Maybe something that would have an output in the serial window? I was able to run some test sketches when I was using the Arduino IDE (led flashing, etc).

I am quite new at this, and I really appreciate your help.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Sure, lets try turning on the NeoPixel LED.

import time
import board
import neopixel

pixels = neopixel.NeoPixel(board.NEOPIXEL, 1)

while True:
    pixels.fill(0xADAF00)
    time.sleep(1)
    pixels.fill(0)
    time.sleep(1)
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... py-3124728

forum_questions_1

Thanks very much for this. I tried it out but I do not think it worked. I am going to copy the editor screen to show you what happens when I press the Save+Run button. I named the file pycodetest.py. It opened up this in a Wordpad document and a duplicate file called pycodetest(2).py. This duplication (with a number in parenthesis) happens each time I press Save+Run. Attached are pictures of the Editor and Serial tabs to show you what I am looking at. Interestingly, when I run the code, the Led turns solid light blue. To turn this off I click the board reset button and it goes back to intermittent green flash. I guess there is some communication going on.
Attachments
Screen2.jpg
Screen2.jpg (119.61 KiB) Viewed 110 times
Screen1.jpg
Screen1.jpg (141.38 KiB) Viewed 110 times

forum_questions_1

I was double checking the code and saw I made a spacing and case ("TRUE") error. I fixed these. Not sure if it matters in python or not. Ran it, but same result. Attached is the updated screen picture.
Attachments
Screen3.jpg
Screen3.jpg (99.82 KiB) Viewed 110 times

forum_questions_1

I think I am going to close-up my attempts with this for now. I bought the S3 board and it is working well with Mu. Thanks.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”