Do I really need the whole lib folder? 1.4mb~

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bigguyjones

Do I really need the whole lib folder? 1.4mb~

Post by bigguyjones »

the "getting started with adafruit circuit playground express" book, when we start installing circuit python libraries, on page 110 it says to copy them all onto the board and that it will take some time and should be around 400kb. the book is a bit old, and that same folder download for modern circuitpython is about 1.4mb~ now

is this still recommended?

Franklin97355

Re: Do I really need the whole lib folder? 1.4mb~

Post by Franklin97355 »

I don't know but I will ask the authors.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

This sounds specific to CircuitPython library usage? If so, then no - copying them all is not needed. In general, you only need the libraries to support whatever code usage you are running on the board. There may be several, and when the library folder was small, simply copying everything was the easiest approach. However, the total number of libraries has grown to where that approach generally won't work anymore - no board has enough space to hold *all* the libraries.

Here's the current guidance for working with CircuitPython libraries:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... -libraries

bigguyjones

Post by bigguyjones »

adafruit_support_carter wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:16 am This sounds specific to CircuitPython library usage? If so, then no - copying them all is not needed. In general, you only need the libraries to support whatever code usage you are running on the board. There may be several, and when the library folder was small, simply copying everything was the easiest approach. However, the total number of libraries has grown to where that approach generally won't work anymore - no board has enough space to hold *all* the libraries.

Here's the current guidance for working with CircuitPython libraries:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... -libraries
Yes thank you! I appreciate the help :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”