Stepper question

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
forum_questions_1

Stepper question

Post by forum_questions_1 »

Hi, I have been playing around with the Adafruit stepper example CircuitPython code. I am using a Feather S3 board and a DC Motor + Stepper FeatherWing Add-on.

Is there any way to control the speed of the stepper? I am interested in running it smoothly and slowly. I have been using the time.sleep method but changing the sleep time does not have the effect I am looking for. I think I came across a really slow/smooth running sketch in Arduino/AccelStepper. Is there anything I can try in CircuitPython? Thanks!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Stepper question

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

To make a stepper move slowly and smoothly, you need to microstep: controlling the coils so the rotor moves part of the way from one detente to the next.

The roughest version of microstepping is half-stepping: activating coil A, then adding coil be so both A and B are active, then shutting off A so only B is active. The rotor will move to the following positions:

A : at detente A
A+B : halfway between detente A and detente B
B : at detente B

Microstepping just activates the coils with less than 100% current. If coil A has 3x as much current as coil B, the rotor will stop 1/4 of the way from detente A to detente B. Then you can use equal currents to move the rotor halfway between detente A and detente B, then give coil B 3x as much current as coil A so the rotor stops 3/4 of the way from detente A to detente B.

The adafruit_motor module handles all that math for you. You just need to tell it how many positions you want between detentes:

https://docs.circuitpython.org/projects ... .MICROSTEP

Smooth slow motion involves lots of small microsteps at intervals short enough that you don't notice the rotor stopping at each position.

forum_questions_1

Post by forum_questions_1 »

Thanks for this good info Mike.

I was looking at the documentation and saw that it might be possible to change the default microsteps from 16 to 8 and also the 100 kHz frequency?

This is a beginner coding question. Where in code would I put "steppers_microsteps=8"? And how would I change the frequency? I'm just interested in how the motor changes with these.

Are these added in the parenthesis when I create the "kit"? Or somewhere else? I currently have kit defined as follows:

kit = MotorKit(i2c=board.I2C())

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Yep, add the optional parameters when you create the Motorkit object:

Code: Select all

kit = MotorKit( i2c=board.I2C(), stepper_micrrosteps=4, pwm_frequency=1000 )
(the default PWM frequency is 1.6kHz rather than 100kHz)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”