fail to upload sketch

For Adafruit customers who seek help with microcontrollers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Claude_J_Greengrass

fail to upload sketch

Post by Claude_J_Greengrass »

PY RP-2040 I followed the instructions on this page https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt-py-2040/blink-2
I do see the RPI-RP2 automount
Arduino IDE V 1.8 with mbed libraries loaded

It appears this is a common problem, but I can find anything that will make it work.

I'm open to suggestions.

mikeysklar

Re: fail to upload sketch

Post by mikeysklar »

From the Arduino IDE when you go to upload what error do you see?

Make sure that Verbose output is enabled for compilation / upload. The check boxes to enable it are under File --> Preferences.

Also which specific 1.8.x version are you running?

Claude_J_Greengrass

Here is the error message (verbose)

Sketch uses 49788 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 2093056 bytes.
Global variables use 7316 bytes (2%) of dynamic memory, leaving 254828 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
/home/jlk/.arduino15/packages/rp2040/tools/pqt-python3/1.0.1-base-3a57aed/python3 -I /home/jlk/.arduino15/packages/rp2040/hardware/rp2040/2.6.3/tools/uf2conv.py --serial /dev/ttyACM0 --family RP2040 --deploy /tmp/arduino_build_681747/Blink.ino.uf2
Resetting /dev/ttyACM0
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
Converting to uf2, output size: 130048, start address: 0x2000
No drive to deploy.

I am running Arduino IDE version 1.8.19 under Ubuntu (64 bit)

The drive RPI-RP2 was automounted
There are 2 files on this drive: INDEX.HTM and INFO_UF2.TXT

Claude_J_Greengrass

To eliminate possible errors caused by modified hardware, I ordered a fresh QT PY RP2040 and the Adafruit USB cable. When I plug it in, the led 'fades' through a rainbow of colours. This suggests to me that the fade.ino sketch was loaded before it was shipped to me. No problems there.

Now when I try to compile and download the fade sketch I get the error:
/home/jlk/.arduino15/packages/rp2040/tools/pqt-openocd/1.4.0-c-0196c06/bin/openocd: error while loading shared libraries: libhidapi-hidraw.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And yes, libhidap-hidraw.so.0 is missing. Hints as to how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

I'm surprised it would look for an openocd library. Can you show the drop down of your Arduino IDE --> Tools menu. This error sounds like you have a jtag programmer selected.

Claude_J_Greengrass

thanks for the reply mikeysklar

I updated ubuntu and have fixed the above problem with apt-get.
I can see a "disk" RPI-RP2 and I tried to copy fade.ino.elf.uf2 to that device with no success

I still cannot see a Port from the Tools menu of the IDE and I get the following error when I attempt to download a compiled file:

Open On-Chip Debugger 0.10.0+dev-ge3428fadb-dirty (2022-07-14-14:57)
Licensed under GNU GPL v2
For bug reports, read
http://openocd.org/doc/doxygen/bugs.html
Info : auto-selecting first available session transport "swd". To override use 'transport select <transport>'.
Info : Hardware thread awareness created
Info : RP2040 Flash Bank Command
Error: unable to find CMSIS-DAP device
Error: No Valid JTAG Interface Configured.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Just to confirm you have installed the Earle Philhower Core from the Boards Manager (in the Arduino IDE)?

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... rl-3107182

Don't worry about the port not being available. The RP2040 does not need that for the Arduino IDE.
If there is no serial Port available in the dropdown, or an invalid one appears - don't worry about it! The RP2040 does not actually use a serial port to upload, so its OK if it does not appear if in manual bootload mode. You will see a serial port appear after uploading your first sketch
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-qt- ... rd-3107193

I am concerned that one of your Arduino IDE Tools setting is set to JTAG. You are not using a JTAG programmer so that is the source of the IDE not working correctly to upload. Your screen needs to resemble the guide screenshot:
qtpyrp2040.png
qtpyrp2040.png (505.33 KiB) Viewed 117 times
Good thought trying to manually copy the UF2 did you drop it through the graphical 'Files' program under Ubuntu? That has worked for me on my Ubuntu laptop.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Microcontrollers”