Ultimate GPS Logger shield_sdlog example unable to create files

Adafruit Ethernet, Motor, Proto, Wave, Datalogger, GPS Shields - etc!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kellenhillman

Ultimate GPS Logger shield_sdlog example unable to create files

Post by kellenhillman »

Hi,

I recently purchased the Ultimate GPS Logger Shield. Walking through the tutorial, I soldered the headers, tested the direct and soft serial functions and everything worked along the way. However once I got to the SD Logging page and ran the unedited 'shield_sdlog' example, I got an error:
Ultimate GPSlogger Shield
Couldnt create GPSLOG00.TXT
I am connecting to an Arduino Uno R3 with an external antenna with the switch set to 'Soft. Serial'. No jumper wires are currently being used. The library I installed is the 'Adafruit GPS Library' version 1.3. I also followed the tutorial to download, uncompress and rename the SD card library from the github (moving the old SD library into a backup folder).

So far I have tried a 64 GB SD card that was forced to fat32 format but ultimately switched to a SanDisk 16 GB fat32 formatted card. I am able to run the SD example 'ReadWrite' and confirm that the Arduino is able to Read and Write the "test.txt" file to the card.

When I run the SD example 'CardInfo' the following information is printed:
Initializing SD card...
Card type: SDHC
Volume type is FAT32
Volume size (bytes): 3025666048
Volume size (Kbytes): 2954752
Volume size (Mbytes): 2885
Please help me complete my project and get this GPS to log the data to the card.

Thanks,
Kellen

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Ultimate GPS Logger shield_sdlog example unable to create files

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Is the SD card write protected somehow?

The sketch is getting past the initial setup of the SD card, so is at least working to that point.

The sketch also is not setting a new incremental number for the filename. It's only reporting it as GPSLOG00.TXT and it should be more like GPSLOG0001.TXT.

kellenhillman

Post by kellenhillman »

The SD card is not protected from what I can tell as I am able to write to it from multiple sources such as my computer and the Arduino with the SD example 'ReadWrite'.

It is setting the proper incremental file names as well. As I tried the same steps more times, the error would say 'cannot write GPSLOG01.TXT, GPSLOG02.TXT, GPSLOG03.TXT' etc.

Is there a particular SD card that Adafruit has had success with? I am willing to purchase that specific model to eliminate the possibility of incompatibility.

Thanks,
Kellen

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Can you post a picture of you soldering and the logger shield so we can look for any causes of the problem? Also, did you change any of the code you are using?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino Shields from Adafruit”