stemma non-latching relay "flickers"

Breakout boards, sensors, other Adafruit kits, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
AnnaTemp

stemma non-latching relay "flickers"

Post by AnnaTemp »

I am using your momentary receiver (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1096) to trigger the stemma non-latching relay (https://www.adafruit.com/product/4409), in order to connect a motor to a 5V power supply. My multimeter says that the receiver provides a constant 5V through its output pins when triggered -- but in practice the relay flickers on and off, unless the remote for the receiver is held very close. Essentially, it seems to be this problem: viewtopic.php?p=817355&hilit=relay+pulses#p817355. Reading further (viewtopic.php?p=732220&hilit=relay+pulses#p732220), I wonder if the culprit is EMI from the motor. This is for a first electronics project with my daughters. Just seeing how far we can get on our own. Any advice would be helpful. Photo attached
Attachments
IMG-4214.JPG
IMG-4214.JPG (266.41 KiB) Viewed 63 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: stemma non-latching relay "flickers"

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Are you using the same supply for the motor and the Rf module? That does increase the potential for interference from the motor.

But I have also seen pulsing behavior from the momentary RF units. It appears as if the transmitter fob sends the button code repeatedly when the button is held down. And the output signal on the receiver end sometimes drops out between transmits.

AnnaTemp

Post by AnnaTemp »

Separate power supply solved the problem! I shoulda tried that first. I've had that problem with other projects. Thank you!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Good to hear that solved it. Thanks for the update.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Products from Adafruit”