Develop with Neopixel library on windows, run on Raspberry

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Teutrino

Develop with Neopixel library on windows, run on Raspberry

Post by Teutrino »

Hi
I wanted to organize a workshop for people learning Python, I bought the neopixel rings for them to learn coding with lists and a bit of Numpy. The aim is they develop on their windows computer and we then run the result on a Raspberry pi.

Now when prepping the workshop I run into the problem that after installing all the necessary Python modules I can not run or verify the code on a windows machine. Which is understandable as there's no interface like the Pi present. But what is a good option to have people able to develop and verify their code on a windows machine and then with some minor tweaks they can run it on the pi? Can adafruit-blinka use a dummy interface on a PC just to simulate? Or do we better create a list that on the Pi that then gets swapped with a neopixel class?

I've looked around but it seems this is not as straight forward as I thought, any tips?

Thank you for your help

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Develop with Neopixel library on windows, run on Raspberry

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

You could use an FT232H to provide an interface that would allow driving the NeoPixels directly from the PC:
https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... 2h-example

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”