Circuitpy on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ baremetal?

CircuitPython on hardware including Adafruit's boards, and CircuitPython libraries using Blinka on host computers.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Goosebyte

Circuitpy on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ baremetal?

Post by Goosebyte »

Hello world! I was wondering if anyone has had any success getting circuit py on a Raspberry Pi 3b+? If not, does anyone know where to start in porting this back from the 4b version? I'm more than willing to put in the effort to make it work, of even port it further back to make old pi's more useful.

I daily drive Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and am somewhat comfortable working with c++, of I need to get my hands dirty.

I'm hoping to use it with an official lcd touchscreen and a 3B+ I have laying around for prototyping a few ideas before spending money on boards and components.

danhalbert

Re: Circuitpy on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ baremetal?

Post by danhalbert »

The bare-metal Raspberry Pi implementations are very experimental and have significant issues. We don't have an RPi 3 implementation yet. If you want to use CircuitPython libraries on an RPi 3, your best choice is to run Raspberry Pi OS and use CPython (regular Python) with the Blinka library: https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... rypi-linux

blakebr

Post by blakebr »

Is blinka pronounced blink-A or blink-ah? Asking for a friend. ;-)
Bruce

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

BLINK-ah :) , like "Laura".

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Adafruit CircuitPython”