Rechargeable LiPo component for a GPS logger

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
LanceP89

Rechargeable LiPo component for a GPS logger

Post by LanceP89 »

Hi, I have been playing around with these SnapperGPS units (https://snappergps.info/ ) a bit and was wondering how I could make the attached LiPo battery rechargeable via a micro USB or USB type C port? I was wondering if a component exists currently that could be added to the design to allow charging the unit and download data without disconnecting the battery from the chipset. I would like to have the whole setup encased in epoxy except a single charging/data transfer port. Any ideas how I might achieve this? Thanks so much for any help!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Rechargeable LiPo component for a GPS logger

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't see any specs for the battery there. But if it is a 3.7v LiPo, then you should be able to use any of the MicroLiPo chargers wired in parallel with the battery. Double-check the polarity before connecting anything as there is no standard for connector polarity on LiPo cells.

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=micro+lipo&sort=BestMatch

LanceP89

Post by LanceP89 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:12 am I don't see any specs for the battery there. But if it is a 3.7v LiPo, then you should be able to use any of the MicroLiPo chargers wired in parallel with the battery. Double-check the polarity before connecting anything as there is no standard for connector polarity on LiPo cells.

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=micro+lipo&sort=BestMatch
Okay, thank you for the quick response. I will give that shot. Yes, I am working with a 110mAh 3.7v LiPo. Once I wire them in parallel, I should be able to encase the original type-C port on these units and then just use the newly wired MicroLiPo port of my choosing to download data and charge the battery, correct? 10-4 on checking the polarity first, thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

t use the newly wired MicroLiPo port of my choosing to download data and charge the battery,
The USB C version of the board does have breakouts for the data lines. https://www.adafruit.com/product/4410
You could hack a USB C cable to forward those to the GPS board. But it would probably be simpler to use the USB port on the GPS board and feed VBUS power from there to the charger.

The documentation on the GPS board is pretty high-level. A detailed pinout of the GPS board would be helpful here.

LanceP89

Post by LanceP89 »

Hmm okay, this modification may go beyond my limited skills with this stuff then. I was hoping to be able to just make a quick hardware modification to be able to retain the GPS's functionality and be able to recharge the battery.

I don't know if this is helpful at all, but I found this pinout section listed on Github for these units: https://github.com/SnapperGPS/snappergps-pcb#pinout

Maybe it would be easier to modify the PCB's board design to incorporate that functionality...that's well beyond me though.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

You need some way to get the 5v power from the USB to the charger, without disrupting the data communication. From what I can see in the GPS board docs, it looks like the VDD breakout pad is the battery voltage, not the USB voltage. So it would not be useful for powering the charger.

LanceP89

Post by LanceP89 »

adafruit_support_bill wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:15 pm You need some way to get the 5v power from the USB to the charger, without disrupting the data communication. From what I can see in the GPS board docs, it looks like the VDD breakout pad is the battery voltage, not the USB voltage. So it would not be useful for powering the charger.
Okay, thanks for looking into that. Do you think it would work then to use 2 USB ports then to accomplish the same outcome. Continue to use the original port on the board for data downloading and programming and just use the MicroLiPo charger wired in parallel to charge the battery? Or would that also not work for some reason without disrupting the data communication?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

2 ports would work. You might also be able to find a splitter cable so that you only need one port.

LanceP89

Post by LanceP89 »

Sounds good, I'll give that a shot when they arrive. I really appreciate all your help today, thank you again!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”