MINI CV3 terrestrial; antenna connection

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
keli

MINI CV3 terrestrial; antenna connection

Post by keli »

I recently picked up a MINI SDR and I wanted to hook it up to a roof antenna. I already have a coaxial connection that terminates in a SMC female. What I need is a cable that plugs into the MINI, then terminates in a a male SMC. Is the the accessory "MCX Jack to SMA RF Cable Adapter" what I need? Do I also need an adapter like "SMA Jack to RP-SMA Plug RF Adapter", or a "RP-SMA Jack to SMA Plug RF Adapter"? Can't tell by looking at the MCX pic cable what SMA connecter it terminates in. Im always ben confused by what "jack", and "plug" mean. Thanks Keli

Franklin97355

Re: MINI CV3 terrestrial; antenna connection

Post by Franklin97355 »

I don't see a SMC connection, do you mean SMA? Do you have adapters to get to SMA ? Thanks for responding.

keli

Post by keli »

You are correct. My typing is lacking some times. Thanks

keli

Post by keli »

I have adapters that go from Ham UHF connectors to SMA (female). Had to have that from previous SDR dongles. Keli

keli

Post by keli »

Didn't want to wait for forum answers for the right coaxial cable connection to buy for the "MINI CV3" SDR so ordered; MCX to SMA cable adapter, and RP-SMA Jack to SMA, and a SMA Jack to RP-SMA adapters. Hope I guessed right. Want to be able to hook up my Disk Cone omni antenna on the roof to the MINI. K

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Now that I see the MCX adapter I think you will be OK. i have several antennas of SMA and RPSMA (there doesn't seem to be a standard) and the adapters help. Good luck

keli

Post by keli »

Thanks for your help. I lost my last SDR dongle, along with a TP-LINK router, and the USB ports on a Dell laptop to a nearby lightening strike. Doesn't seem to a need a direct hit, the "pulse" from a strike a few hundred feet away is enough to do it (?). This is the second time it happened, time before last time the strike hit the chain link fence and took out only the router. Keli

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I remember a time in Arizona when we had a lightning storm I heard a 'snapping' that proved to be an open TV antenna coax that was sparking from static.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”