Gemma/ Gemma MO and drum light controller.

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jonboy648

Gemma/ Gemma MO and drum light controller.

Post by jonboy648 »

Hello. I am trying to copy this project.
https://learn.adafruit.com/gemma-powere ... tive-drums

I've not been able to make it work on the Gemma MO not sure how to get the board or the code onto the MO. So I went back and got a original Gemma (black) to just plug in and load the code. But with the new IDE I have not been able to get my software to see the device. Windows sees it as a trinket says its an adafruit product. Ive got the correct programmer usbtinyisb but when I reset into bootloader mode and try to load anything it just says a programmer is required to upload. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any input!

dastels

Re: Gemma/ Gemma MO and drum light controller.

Post by dastels »

Original Gemmas, and Trinkets don't generally work very well anymore. You should have seen the deprication warning:
Deprecation Warning: The Gemma bit-bang USB technique it uses doesn't work as well as it did in 2014, many modern computers won't work well. So while we still carry the Gemma so that people can maintain some older projects, we no longer recommend it. Please check out the Gemma M0. It has built-in USB, more capabilities, and is comparable in price!
So it's no surprise that that's not working.

As for the M0, see [url]https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-gemma-m0/url].

Dave

pburgess

Re: Gemma/ Gemma MO and drum light controller.

Post by pburgess »

I’ve dusted off the code and made sure it works both on the current M0 Gemma as well as the vintage original.

Surprised I got the latter working at all. Going through a USB hub (rather than direct to computer) may have helped. This was macOS Monterey 12.6.1. There were a few ATtiny85 boards of that era that relied on a hack to talk sorta-pseudo-USB, but USB in major OSes evolved out from under them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”