PyPortal Titano Connection Issues

adafruit.io wippersnapper BETA support, discussions, and more!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.
Hexen_Wulf

Re: PyPortal Titano Connection Issues

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

Oh man! Okay, so I got it into that state and then opened Mu. It said it didn't detect a CircuitPython board, but I tried the Serial connection anyway and was able to get into REPL! I ran that command and now it shows up as a CircuitPython board with the usual default files. Is there somewhere I can get the .54 beta wippersnapper firmware for the PyPortal? I'd like to see if that is more reliable.

At least now I know my board isn't toast, so thank you!

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

. Is there somewhere I can get the .54 beta wippersnapper firmware for the PyPortal? I'd like to see if that is more reliable.
We post all releases on https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... o/releases

Beta 54 is here: https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Wi ... .0-beta.54 and the file you are looking for is `wippersnapper.pyportal_tinyusb.1.0.0-beta.54.uf2`

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

Thank you so much for all of your help. I don't know how Adafruit does customer service reviews, but you were fantastic at helping this overly-enthusiastic hobbyist.

brubell
Learn User Page

Post by brubell »

I don't think we do...

Let me know how beta54 works, then try beta55 and see if it breaks (or does the original functionality described in the first post)

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

Alright, so I put the .54 uf2 onto the PyPortal and edited the secrets.json file with Notepad++. I saved it and ejected the device via Windows. It stayed connected for about half an hour, so I disconnected it and reconnected it to test that. Now the secrets.json file is back to the default.

Here is the contents of the wipper_boot_out.txt file:
Adafruit.io WipperSnapper
Firmware Version: 1.0.0-beta.54
Board ID: pyportal-tinyusb
MAC Address: A8:E0:E5:25:BF:58
* Please edit the secrets.json file. Then, reset your board.

Now, I know that you're supposed to use certain apps to save these files so that it's saved instantly, like with MU Python editor, but I can't get it to open the json file at all. I even tried using Open With... and pointing it to the executable, but nothing happens.

BTW, when I've done this exact step with my ESP32-S2 (Using Notepad++ to edit the json file) this happens as well. What program should I be using to edit this json file?

edit: The NeoPixel does not turn solid red, nor does it stay solid yellow like it does when there's an error connecting to the AP.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Do you have any third-party disk utility programs or backup programs installed on your Windows machine? Sometimes these can interfere with writing to the drive.

Yes, ejecting should write the file. After you ejected, did it say "Safe to remove"? If you remove it immediately and then plug it back in, does it show your edits?

You could try Visual Studio Code if you can't get Mu to open the file. That editor forces writes to happen immediately.

Hexen_Wulf

Post by Hexen_Wulf »

I've been testing this at work, so there probably is something like that on here. I'll try it at home and see if there's any difference.

And yes, I wait until it says Safe to Remove. I think this is definitely my problem, because MU Editor lets me safely do it when CircuitPython is installed. I wish MU Editor would let me open json files.

Forum rules
If you're posting code, please make sure your code does not include your Adafruit IO Active Key or WiFi network credentials.

Return to “Adafruit IO Wippersnapper Beta”