programming an atmega162 using arduino uno

Post here about your Arduino projects, get help - for Adafruit customers!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ryley92

programming an atmega162 using arduino uno

Post by ryley92 »

so i have a set of step by step directions on how to reprogram / flash a AtMega 162 chip on a obd car diagnostic cable with a different upgraded firmware.

These directions mention using an arduino uno as the programmer interface, but the pins they reference are the pins labeled MISO, MOSI, SCK, GND, 5V, and RESET. it says to connect to the breakout diagnostic pins and how to set up it to reflash the chip

but the cable i have has a breakout pin headers with totally different pins.

The pins on my board are 27-PE1, 28 - GND, 12 - PD6, 13 - PD7, 14 - XTAL2, and 15 - XTAL1.

obviously after reviewing the board schematic, I can see the aformentioned pins from the instruction set are pins 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and im assuming any of the following GND pins (16, 28, or 39)

my question is, since the diagnostic header is using a completely different set of pins, if i connect directly to the MISO / MOSI etc pins directly on the chip itself, will it still accept programming, or due to the different pins being used on this board, will it not accept programming using these different pins?

there are many different versions of this same obd diagnostic cable, and the instructions say it will work for pretty much any variation that uses the atmega162 chip, but their instructions show 3 different boards that all have a header with the miso / mosi/ sck etc pins, and not the xtal, xtal2. etc pins.

would that mean my board wont accept this same programming by being connected directly to the pins on the chip, or will it still likely work?

attached are pics of my board (the black pcb board), as well as some example boards from the instructions
Attachments
my board
my board
16.png (501.32 KiB) Viewed 56 times
example board
example board
13.png (435.09 KiB) Viewed 56 times
example board
example board
14.png (985.79 KiB) Viewed 56 times

bidrohini

Re: programming an atmega162 using arduino uno

Post by bidrohini »

Have you cross-checked your method with this one?
https://www.engineersgarage.com/program ... duino-ide/

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Arduino”