Feather Sense and RFM95W breakout

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Mick_H

Feather Sense and RFM95W breakout

Post by Mick_H »

Hi,

Anyone using the RFM95W breakout board successfully with the Feather Sense nRF52840?

I tried to compile the RadioHead rf95 client but it wont compile for this M4 processor.

I believe I may now have to have the Feather Sense board use a Feather M0 with built in RFM95 do the LoRa job. I have the rf95 client and server working with the Feather M0 boards but would have preferred to just add the breakout to the Feather Sense.

Is there a library for the RFM95W that works with the Feather Sense?

Kind regards

Mick

jerryn

Re: Feather Sense and RFM95W breakout

Post by jerryn »

For what it's worth, I have run into this same issue with nrf52840 boards and don't have a workaround.

I did try test compiling an example from the RadioLib library https://github.com/jgromes/RadioLib
for the nrf52840 Sense and it does compile. I have not tried executing it.
edited to add: I compiled the SX127x_Receive example.

Good luck

Mick_H

Post by Mick_H »

Thanks for the quick response.

I'll probably stick with the M0/RFM95 combo for the LoRa element for now, and hook it up to the Sense. Seems to be the easiest route at the moment and will also split the workload across processors.

Mick

Mick_H

Post by Mick_H »

Ok, so I now have my client and server running on a Feather M0 with RFM95, but would still like to move to the Feather Sense with a RFM95 breakout to make use of the onboard sensors. Now I have established that the modified example works and sends/receives data on the M0 version. I returned to trying to compile the working example on the nRF52 sense. The output below shows the grumble from the compiler, I think this might not be too difficult to solve, but needs a better understanding of the board specifics and RH_ASK.cpp than mine. Can anyone help?

Code: Select all

C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp: In member function 'void RH_ASK::timerSetup()':
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:459:5: error: 'TCCR1A' was not declared in this scope
  459 |     TCCR1A = 0; // Output Compare pins disconnected
      |     ^~~~~~
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:460:5: error: 'TCCR1B' was not declared in this scope
  460 |     TCCR1B = _BV(WGM12); // Turn on CTC mode
      |     ^~~~~~
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:460:18: error: 'WGM12' was not declared in this scope
      |                  ^~~~~
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:460:14: error: '_BV' was not declared in this scope
      |              ^~~
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:467:5: error: 'OCR1A' was not declared in this scope
  467 |     OCR1A = nticks;
      |     ^~~~~
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:474:5: error: 'TIMSK' was not declared in this scope
  474 |     TIMSK |= _BV(OCIE1A);
      |     ^~~~~
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:474:18: error: 'OCIE1A' was not declared in this scope
  474 |     TIMSK |= _BV(OCIE1A);
      |                  ^~~~~~
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp: At global scope:
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_ASK.cpp:794:4: error: expected constructor, destructor, or type conversion before '(' token
  794 | ISR(RH_ASK_TIMER_VECTOR)
      |    ^
In file included from C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead\RH_LoRaFileOps.cpp:5:
C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries\RadioHead/RH_LoRaFileOps.h:27:2: warning: #warning RH_LoRaFileOps unfinished [-Wcpp]
   27 | #warning RH_LoRaFileOps unfinished
      |  ^~~~~~~
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit Feather nRF52840 Sense.

Mick_H

Post by Mick_H »

The problem seems to relate to the defining of the board in the RH_ASK.cpp and the associated code for the timer settings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”