Dev. Board Suggestion?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
balease

Dev. Board Suggestion?

Post by balease »

Hello,

I'm looking to industrialize a simple "box module" containing a USB-interface controller that turns on/off a laser diode.
The only requirements of the controller are:
-USB port/comm
-regulate 5V, ~100mA
-mounting holes

I know that an Arduino Uno with multiple GPIO (for current load) would be the easiest way of accomplishing what I want, but I was hoping that there might be a smaller profile board that's more tactful for such a simple singular operation.
I attached the information regarding the laser diode. Unless I missed something, it should be "plug-n-play". Ideally I'd like to limit the amount components needed to just the controller. Splicing connector ends/wires isn't an issue.

Thanks
Attachments
Green-Dot-Laser-Module-VLM-520-51-manual.pdf
(252.38 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

dastels

Re: Dev. Board Suggestion?

Post by dastels »

You'll need a driver transistor/FET for the laser diode. 150mA is well beyond what an MCU can handle directly. If you went with something like a Feather M0 Basic (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2772) you could put the driver circuit on the prototyping area on the Feather board. With anything smaller you'll need to build the driver external to the MCU board.

Dave

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

After reading Dave's reply, I happened to over to the new products page. There is a new product that will be available shortly as a MOSFET + diode to drive higher power LEDs (i.e. it translates the data signal pin from your microprocessor to a higher level output voltage/amps for driving the LED). You should be able to use this board without having to solder components to a breadboard. I believe you can plug in a 3 pin JST-PH connector, but you will likely need to separate the 3 wires from the JST-PH connector to connect them to the right location on your microprocessor: Note, I originally thought you might be able to use one of the microprocessors with a JST-PH output directly, but I think the pin order is different between the MOSFET and the devices like the new QT PY neopixel BFF driver.

dastels

Post by dastels »

That's cool. The power/gnd/input are exposed on header/wire pads as well so you don't need to use the JST. It'll mount on the prototyping end of the Feather I mentioned.

Dave

balease

Post by balease »

Thanks for the insight and replies!
This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”