PT100 temp probe not linear in measuring

For other supported Arduino products from Adafruit: Shields, accessories, etc.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
johnzbesko

PT100 temp probe not linear in measuring

Post by johnzbesko »

Noobie question here. I have a PT100 3 wire temp probe connected to a MAX31865 that is connected to a RasPi. I can calibrate it to an analog thermometer, by modifying this python call:

mash = adafruit_max31865.MAX31865(spi, csm, rtd_nominal=100, ref_resistor=422.5, wires=3)

But as the temperature changes (I measure a range from 120F to 170F, for beer brewing), the probe and analog get out of sync. I thought of using https://github.com/drhaney/pt100rtd but am unsure how to use an Arduino library in my Spyder Python IDE, even though I realize the adafruit_max31865 library is originally an arduino library. (This project is one I'm returning to after a few years.) Can someone point me in the right direction?

johnzbesko

Re: PT100 temp probe not linear in measuring

Post by johnzbesko »

Well, I think I understand why I was having so much trouble with reading an accurate temperature. My probes are actually 2 wire, not 3, even though I wired my device as if they were 3 wire. As for using the table lookup in the arduino library, table lookups can easily be implemented in python. I'm ordering new probes now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Other Arduino products from Adafruit”